Milton Hershey

by Mark from San Diego

(old.psd.org ())
(old.psd.org ())

Julie Andrews once said, "Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th." Julie Andrews' definition of perseverance relates to the life of Milton Hershey who failed many times before he created the very successful Hershey Empire. "Milton Snavely Hershey was born on a central Pennsylvania farm in Derry Township on September 13, 1857, to Henry H. Hershey and Fannie B. Snavely. Hershey inherited the entrepreneurial spirit from his father who moved the family often, attempting a variety of business ventures." Hershey decided to follow in his father's footsteps in hope of making a successful candy company and in 1894 he found it. In 1894, the Hershey Chocolate Company opened, making things like breakfast cocoa and baking chocolate (Encyclopedia of World Biography). The Hershey Company began in a town now named Hershey, Pennsylvania. Even after all the countless failures Milton had before his triumph was found in Hershey's chocolate, he still showed remarkable amounts of generosity. Milton Hershey's perseverance through his defeats and his miraculous selflessness are the reasons he inspires others to never give up.

(www.miltonhershey.com ())
(www.miltonhershey.com ())

Milton Hershey faced many hurdles prior to his success, but he overcame them and strived to prevail. "After enduring years of failure, Milton Hershey (1857-1945) built a business empire as the world's first mass producer of chocolate bars" (Encyclopedia of World Biography). Milton never gave up on his success and in the end it paid off. Hershey experienced many setbacks including two failed businesses but he pursued and ended up selling his third company to make enough money and it resulted in the well-known enterprise he established, Hershey's. Milton was different from other men because he showed signs of significant strength through his journey, "...Hershey's path to sweet success was fraught with obstacles and setbacks that would have crushed lesser men" (Milton S. Hershey Entrepreneur). Milton Hershey had the capability to endure more than many other men would be able to if they needed to go through what Hershey had to endure. The path that Milton took was hard fought to overcome the different obstacles put in his way. At the end of his rough road, Hershey triumphed, "Since its first bar debuted in 1900, Hershey's has become one of the world's most recognizable brands." (Marsha Masters). Even after going through the worst of being broke, Hershey prevailed and became one of the most successful men in the world. His accomplishments were not given, they were earned and that is why he influences many to endure and push through any and all obstacles interfering with success.

(www.brucemacdonaldstamps.com ())
(www.brucemacdonaldstamps.com ())

Milton Hershey shared with those that were less fortunate to give them a better life. Milton was different than other owners, he tried to make everyone's life easier and better by doing many things: "In the town that came to be known as Hershey, Pennsylvania, Hershey built schools, parks, churches, recreational facilities and housing for his employees. He even added a trolley system for his workers."(Encyclopedia of World Biography). Milton Hershey cared about his employees and did his best to make their lives easier. In 1909, Milton Hershey and his wife built a school for others in need of help, "Milton Hershey School is a cost-free, private, co-educational school in Hershey, PA. We offer state-of-the-art facilities, advanced technology and hundreds of extracurricular activities...Milton and Catherine Hershey established the school in 1909 to provide a positive, structured home life year-round to help children gain the skills to be successful in all aspects of life" (Milton Hershey School). Milton and his wife Catherine could have very easily charged tuition for their school, or they could have chosen not to make the school in the first place. Instead they chose to aid the community, and in doing so they have given many people, including orphans and children coming from abusive families, scholarships that they may have never been able to receive without the Milton Hershey School. Even after Hershey's wife died he continued to be generous to those in need. "After Kitty Hershey [Milton's wife] died in 1915, Hershey donated his entire fortune--$60 million--in a trust to the school. It was renamed the Milton Hershey School and expanded to serve boys and girls from disrupted homes from kindergarten through high school" (Encyclopedia of World Biography). Kids still attend the Milton Hershey School today and they earn their way to college and some even earn jobs at the Hershey chocolate-making company, continuing his legacy through the company he built. Hershey has changed the lives of many who have attended by giving them an opportunity for a good education. During World War II Hershey decided to try and make a difference for the better, "During World War II, the Hershey company developed an unmeltable, four-ounce bar with extra calories and vitamins, which could be used as emergency provisions for soldiers and sailors. The company made more than a billion of the "Field Ration D" bars. In 1942, the U.S. government gave Hershey the Army/Navy E award for his civilian contribution to the war effort. In 1995, he was honored once again by being pictured on a postage stamp commemorating him as part of the U.S. Postal Service's Great Americans series" ("Milton Hershey." Encyclopedia of World Biography). While Hershey's goal was not to be awarded for his efforts, the government chose to recognize his contributions to the war. Even after his death he is revered as a war hero. Milton Hershey always put others' needs in front of his through his charitable donations and he has inspired others to do the same.

(www.artworkoriginals.com ())
(www.artworkoriginals.com ())

Hershey's persistence and benevolence resulted in his successful empire found in Hershey, Pennsylvania. Milton Hershey decided to share his fortunes with others who needed it more than he did. From making his employees' lives easier by building them homes and accessible transportation, to donating 60 million dollars, all of his money, to the school that he made for children. "Indeed, Milton Hershey's accomplishments do speak for themselves. His deeds are his monument. His life is our inspiration" (Hershey, PA The Sweetest Place On Earth). Hershey's accomplishments speak for themselves and he is an inspiration. His life encourages others to follow their dreams and to persevere. All heroes make sacrifices, but Milton Hershey's altruism and endurance went beyond what other heroes have done and that is why he is worth more than a chocolate bar.

Works Consulted

"About Milton Hershey School." Milton Hershey School About Comments. Milton Hershey School,

n.d. Web. 04 May 2015.

Begley, Sarah. "Hershey's Milk Chocolate | The 13 Most Influential Candy Bars of All Time |

TIME.com." NewsFeed The 13 Most Influential Candy Bars of All Time Comments. N.p., 17 Feb. 2014. Web. 08 May 2015.

"Discover HERSHEY'S History." Hersheys.com. Hershey's, n.d. Web. 07 May 2015.

"Hershey, PA The Sweetest Place On Earth." Hershey , PA Milton S. Hershey. N.p., n.d.

Web. 08 May 2015.

"Hershey's." The Hershey Company. The Hershey Company, n.d. Web. 07 May 2015.

Masters, Marsha. "Spotlighting Entrepreneurs: The Sweet Success of Milton Hershey." Spotlighting

Entrepreneurs: The Sweet Success of Milton Hershey. N.p., 23 July 2012. Web. 06 May 2015

"Milton Hershey." Bio. A&E Television Networks, 2015. Web. 04 May 2015.

"Milton Hershey." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Vol. 19. Detroit: Gale, 1999. Biography in

Context. Web. 1 May 2015.

Context. Web. 4 May 2015.

"Milton S. Hershey." Entrepreneur. N.p., 07 Oct. 2008. Web. 06 May 2015.