Mae Jemison

by Ali from San Diego

Jemison joined NASA Program in 1992 (http://physicistfeminist.com/category/awesome-wome ())

Shoot for the Stars and If You Miss You Will Still Hit the Moon

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world," said Mahatma Gandhi. Mae Jemison took this quote to heart when working towards her dreams. Mae Carol Jemison was born to Charlie and Dorothy Jemison on October 17, 1956. Jemison was born in Decatur, Alabama but grew up in Chicago for most of her childhood, wanting to become a scientist since kindergarten. She grew up to become the first woman of color in space, working for the NASA program since 1992. She eventually left the space program and worked at Dartmouth College from 1995 to 2002 (Good). To become the change one wishes to see in this world, they must have commitment to the change they wish to see and an ability to gain and apply knowledge. Mae Jemison exhibits the dedication and intelligence of a hero; she acts as an inspiration rather than a role model.

Challenger Space Shuttle Explodes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Challen ())

Jemison's dedication was leaps and bounds ahead of that of the average person making her a hero. She showed such extreme dedication to becoming a part of the NASA program: "After the Challenger accident, Mae continued to work at her job with CIGNA Health Plans, but she didn't let go of her dream of becoming an astronaut. instead it made her more determined to succeed as an astronaut" (King). Jemison understood that the accident, as tragic as it was, was only an accident that could happen to any member of that mission. She assimilated awareness that a catastrophic accident like the Challenger accident could happen to her yet accidents like these separate those dedicated to becoming a part of the program. Average people looking to work for NASA would have thought twice about joining the NASA program but Jemison proved her dedication by continuing to send her application. Also, Jemison showed her dedication since childhood: "Jemison herself grew up with a strong sense that learning was exciting and important, and by the time she was in kindergarten, she had already declared her ambition to become a scientist. This was an unusual aspiration for an African American girl in the mid-twentieth century (Good)."  Jemison was like many other children in kindergarten, aspiring to be an astronaut, a firefighter, or a scientist. Few people have the dedication to become what they want to be. By working hard day after day, she proved that she was dedicated more than the average person and achieved her goal of becoming a scientist. Also, she did not listen to the limitations others set on her because of her race which further proved her dedication. Mae Jemison's dedication greater than the average person helped her to become the intelligent hero she is.

Jemison recieves Doctorate of Engineering  (http://www.bulletin.hmc.edu/archives/2007/summer/c ())
Jemison recieves Doctorate of Engineering (http://www.bulletin.hmc.edu/archives/2007/summer/c ())

Jemison's intelligence was greater than that of an average person, helping her to achieve greater than the ordinary person. Her intelligence showed in her college career: "Jemison entered Stanford University in Palo Alto, California on a scholarship and received a Bachelor of Science degree in chemical engineering in 1977, at the same time fulfilling the requirements for a Bachelor of Arts in African and Afro-American studies. Jemison, building on a career plan for biomedical engineering, went on to Cornell University Medical College in New York, earning an M.D" (Biography Today). Jemison achieving a degree in chemical engineering enabled her to pursue her dream of becoming a scientist. Without such a degree, the NASA program may not have accepted her. In order to receive this degree, she first had to engulf herself in the subject to increase her intelligence. Her master's degree was also an outstanding feat requiring skills that bring intelligence such as time management, effort, and commitment, exceeding that of most ordinary people. Also, Jemison earned two doctorates from different colleges: "Honorary Doctorate of Sciences, Lincoln College, Pennsylvania (1991). Honorary Doctorate of Letters, Winston Salem College, North Carolina (1991)" (Wilson). Her intelligence was further recognized as greater than average when she received an honorary award of science. Such an outstanding accomplishment would qualify one for these prestigious degrees, these accomplishments being that of intelligent people achieving greater than the masses. Jemison's intelligence was greater than the average person's which enabled her to achieve greater than the average person. Her dedication was what helped her to be as intelligent as she was.

Jemison's dedication and intelligence prove her a hero in achieving her dreams. She attended Stanford University, a school which requires academic excellence. Jemison's heroic intelligence is proved by her Honorary Doctorate awards and college degrees from prestigious universities, earned through dedication. Her dedication to her work is heroic. She wanted to be an astronaut even after watching one of the biggest accidents in the history of space travel. Ever since her childhood, she has been dedicated to becoming a scientist and became not only a scientist but a hero because of her dedication Jemison served as an inspiration to many such as in this quote:  "I think people have to stop using the word dream, because it implies something you can't do. I like to say, 'What do you intend to do?' So, the question becomes, 'How will you do what you intend to do?'" (Jemison). She inspired people by telling them not to think of dreams as dreams but as goals. By teaching that dreams are not out of reach, she inspired me to work harder knowing that I can achieve them. Jemison made history as the first female African American astronaut. Mae Jemison made history as the first African American into space. Being a first inspired me to rethink what is possible and to work hard to be one of the few firsts of this day and age. People of her color may have not had the opportunities as others had. Her achievements showed that she reached for the stars, literally, and broke through the limits society had set on her, becoming the change in the world she wanted to see.

Works Consulted

Good, Bonnye Busbice. "Mae C. Jemison." Great Lives From History: African Americans (2010): 94. Biography Reference Center. Web. 10 Dec. 2012.

Jemison, Mae. "Interview with Mae." Jemison. Scholastic, Feb. 2001. Web. 10 Dec. 2012.

King, Coretta Scott, and LeeAnne Gelletly. "Mae Jemison." Mae Jemison (0-7910-6293-7) (2002): 8. Biography Reference Center. Web. 10 Dec. 2012.

"Mae Jemison." Mae Jemison (Biography Today) (2010): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 10 Dec. 2012.

Wilson, Jim. "Astronaut Bio:Mae C. Jemison." Astronaut Bio:Mae C. Jemison. NASA, 2011. Web. 10 Dec. 2012. .

Biography.com - A biography written about Mae Jemison
Ted Talks - Mae Jemsion on teaching arts and science together.
Dr. Mae - The official website of Dr. Mae Jemison