Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

by Aaron

My hero is Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. He lived from January 19, 1929 to April 4, 1968 during the time of segregation in the United States. I admire him because he wanted blacks and whites to coexist peacefully. Dr. King was brave because he was not afraid to go to jail for his beliefs. He was also a determined person because he did not give up easily. He gave people a reason to believe that he could change America for the better. Finally, Dr. King was an inspiration to others. He taught his peers that you can achieve a goal without violence being involved. I admire Dr. Martin Luther King for all of his inspirational actions.

Dr. King is my hero because he was an incredibly brave man. He was not afraid to express himself in front of white people. This is an example of his bravery because African Americans were not treated the same or as nicely as white people. Back in the 1960's, it was not easy for a black man to confront a white man and win. In those times, the white men were considered superior, but Dr. King challenged that. Also, he did not fight physically but rather verbally. A verbal challenge was the best option for blacks to stand up for their rights because the white people had the power to throw them in jail if they used physical violence. Dr. King knew that peaceful, verbal protest was their best strategy. This is very brave because it is difficult not to use violence when people use violence against. Another example of his bravery is when he made a speech in front of the Lincoln memorial in 1963. He spoke of a future where all men were truly equal. His dream of a united people was very brave.

Another reason I admire Dr. Martin Luther King is because he was very determined. An example that he is a determined person is when the white community burned down his house. Even this horrible act did not stop him from achieving his goal to have black people be treated the same as white people. A famous quote that Dr. King said is, "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." This quote shows that he was a determined man. I admire Dr. Martin Luther King's determination because it helped change the lives of many people for the better.

A third reason Dr. King is my hero is because he is inspirational. He is a role model of how to change the world. Even now, he inspires people to live together peacefully. He stood up for his beliefs even when threatened with violence. His peaceful protests are a model for anyone who feels they are being treated unjustly. He had a dream that, "My four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." His dream has changed the world for the better. His dream was truly inspirational.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is my hero because he is brave, determined, and inspirational. He is brave because he stood up for his beliefs. He is determined because he did not give up even when faced with violence. And, finally, he is inspirational because he gave people hope that they can have a chance to be treated like equals. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is my hero because he was brave, determined and inspirational.