Michael Phelps

by Samantha C. and Emma T. from Cincinnati

Michael Phelps Foundation logo (Michael Phelps Foundation ())

Michael Phelps, holder of 23 Olympic gold medals, is very inspirational to any swimmer who desires to be in the Olympics or wants to learn how to swim. Throughout 5 Olympic games he has won 28 gold medals, 23 of which were gold. After the 2008 Beijing Olympic games Phelps was inspired to create the Michael Phelps Foundation to help kids learn how to swim. In 2009 the Michael Phelps foundation and 2 other organizations created the IM program, this is named for his signature swim, the individual medley, or IM. The IM program was created to teach kids about living healthy and goal-setting.

Michael Phelps swimming at the Olympics (rutgersprep.org ())

Michael Phelps is the holder of the most Olympic medals ever. He is probably one of the most well known Olympians. He also said that he thinks that the goals that you set should not be easy to achieve. He said the goals should make you work and that you should never give up even when you are in a tough spot. Phelps had once said he thought it would be cool to be on an Olympic team, "'I think goals should never be easy, they should force you to work, even if they are uncomfortable at the time'"(Michael Phelps Quotes). Phelps is one of the best swimmers in his generation and has given Olympic swimmers someone to try to beat.

Special Olympics/Michael Phelps Foundation (bgcdet.org ())

Between 2008 and 2010 Phelps started a program for kids that are not comfortable with swimming. He helps the children swim. He said that he is just a person who set goals for himself. "I like to just think of myself as a normal person who just has a passion, has a goal and a dream and goes out and does it. And that's really how I've always lived my life"(Michael Phelps Quotes). The Michael Phelps Foundation has helped hundreds of children learn how to swim and overcome their fear of being in the water.

Michael Phelps after receiving a gold medal (affinity magazine ())

Michael Phelps has won many gold medals in the Olympic games, meaning that he is fast. Michael Phelps is helpful to the community because he set up the Michael Phelps Foundation to help the children in the community to learn how to swim. Michael Phelps is inspiring because he is a good swimmer, to some people he could be an idol because they strive to be like him. Our definition of a hero is someone who is fast, helpful to the community, and inspirational.

Works Cited "43 Facts About Michael Phelps - The Greatest Swimmer To Have Represented USA." BOOMSbeat. N.p., 29 Nov. 2015. Web. 03 Jan. 2017. "Boys & Girls Clubs of America Works Hard Every Day to Make a Difference in the Lives of Youth in Communities All over the World." Boys & Girls Clubs of America. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Jan. 2017. "Club Kids Swimming." Club Swimming. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Jan. 2017. Http://affinitymagazine.us/author/hannahl/. "Michael Phelps: The Importance of His Recovery and Return to the Olympics." Affinity Magazine | For The Social Teen. N.p., 09 Aug. 2016. Web. 03 Jan. 2017. "Michael Phelps Biography." Childhood, Life Achievements & Timeline. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Jan. 2017. "Michael Phelps Quotes." BrainyQuote. Xplore, n.d. Web. 03 Jan. 2017. "My Michael Phelps Page." Michael Phelps. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Jan. 2017. Olympics30.com. "Michael Phelps - Swimming." Michael Phelps - Swimming - Great Olympic Heroes, Stories and Inspirational Sportsmen and Women. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Jan. 2017. Sports, A.J. Perez. "Michael Phelps Poses for Sports Illustrated Cover with All of His Gold." USA Today. Gannett Satellite Information Network, 20 Dec. 2016. Web. 03 Jan. 2017.