Poets

Mattie Stepanek

by Adrian from Roseville

"... having a shopping spree ends in a day, but being able to talking to Jimmy Carter, being able to have my books published, being able to talk to you(Oprah Winfrey) here today lasts forever."

Mattie Stepanek is one of the most well known child authors, and Peacemaker. He inspired millions with his words. He is my hero because of the struggles he went through, his attitude, and his actions/achievements. 

Mattie was born on July 17, 1990. He was born with a rare form of muscular dystrophy, and dysautonomic mitochondrial myopathy. He spent most of his time in a wheelchair. "Muscular dystrophy (MD) is a group of muscle diseases that weaken the musculoskeletal system and hamper locomotion." according to Wikipedia. Over time your muscles get weaker. "Mitochondrial disease is a group of disorders caused by dysfunctional mitochondria, theorganelles that generates energy for the cell." Mattie's mom also had this disease, and Mattie's Siblings died from it.

Mattie's attitude also was always inspiring. He made many people laugh and he was very uplifting. Mattie also had 3 wishes, and his wishes weren't ordinary wishes like having a free week at Disneyland. Mattie wanted meaningful wishes, he said," I want wishes that would last forever..." His wishes were to have his book publishes, to talk to Jimmie Carter, and to meet Oprah Winfrey.

Mattie accomplished so much in so little time. He earned a black belt in martial arts before he was in his wheelchair. He wrote poems that inspired people, taught people the meaning of a " Heartsong", which is your message form the heart. And showed the world what a kid can do if you give them a chance.

Mattie Stepanek died on June 22, 2004, one month before his 14th birthday. Mattie was my hero because of the struggles he faced, his joyful attitude, and his astonishing achievements.  Its is very rare that someone like him gets a chance to share their story. So next time give people a chance before you shut them out.

IMDb - Fun Facts About Mattie Stepanek.
The Mattie J.T. Stepanek Foundation - The Offical Mattie J.T. Stepanek Foundation website.
Oprah - What Oprah thinks of Mattie.
Maryland in News - Learn about Matties mother,Jennifer.
Mattie Stepanek Quotes - Here are more things that Mattie said.

"Shortly after Mattie's death, citizens in his King Farm neighborhood of Rockville, Maryland, established the volunteer-based, non-profit Mattie J.T. Stepanek Foundation with the mission of making Mattie's message accessible to everyone. One of the primary goals of the Foundation is to create curricula programs to support teachers in helping students of all ages understand Mattie's concept of Heartsongs, and embrace his "Three Choices for Peace"." Wikipedia.

Mattie's Mom, Jenny, wrote a book about Mattie and his heartsong: "Messenger: The Legacy of Mattie J.T. Stepanek and Heartsongs"

Matties full name is Matthew Joseph Thaddeus Stepanek

He was born in Washington, DC

He was very very light, "Height and weight 2004: Not yet five feet, about 50 pounds." Mattie J.T. Stepanek foundation

In an Interview with Oprah Winfrey, Mattie Stepanek said: