Malala Yousafzai

by Alexis from Tainan

(http://communitytable.com/170557/parade/malala-you (@parademagazine))

Malala Yousafzai, who was born in 1997, July 12, also known as the youngest Nobel Peace Prize winner, is a 17-year-old Pakistanian girl who has devoted her life to the defending of human rights and rights to education for women. This brave young lady has begun to fight for the rights to education since 2008, when she was only 11 years old, by giving speeches about the above issues on TV and through public media in Peshawar, the capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. What's more, Malala has become a BBC blogger at the end of the year, who anonymously blogs about her life in order to show the growing influence of Taliban. However, after 15 January 2009, Taliban has set an edict that no girls could attend school. Later on, the Taliban continued to destroy girls' schools in the area.

As Malala became more famous, the danger upon her personal safety increased rapidly. On 9 October 2012, a Taliban gunman shot the 15-year-old girl on her ride home, right through her head, with the bullet ending up in her shoulder. Luckily, the bullet had been removed successfully after three hours of operation, and her chance of survival had risen by 70%. The rage and anger toward the shooting spread wildly due to the social media and caused over 2 million people to sign the Right to Education campaign's petition, which led to ratification of the first Right to Education Bill in Pakistan.

This fight for justice has continued after Malala won the Nobel Peace Prize on 10 October 2014; it should not, and will not be stopped. Malala Yousafzai is a small girl with a great soul; the ruffians thought the bullet would silence her, the death threats and blackmails would've held her back, while they only made her stronger, her heart beats louder, her voice become surer; the 17-year-old girl is heading towards a brighter tomorrow, and her footsteps are unflinching. This is the legend of my hero, the extraordinary story of Malala Yousafzai.