Michael Jeffrey Jordan

by Jeff from Iowa

Michael Jeffrey Jordan
Michael Jeffrey Jordan

“Some people want it to happen, some wish it to happen, others make it happen.” Do you know who said this phrase? It was someone who made things happen his entire life. His name is Michael Jordan, my hero. I know a lot of people have Michael Jordan as a hero and most people know who he is, but he’s still my hero and I’m still going to tell you about him.

movie michael jordan stared in
movie michael jordan stared in

Michael Jordan has done many great things as a professional basketball player, caring citizen, and an actor in a movie. You probably already know this but Michael Jordan is one of the greatest basketball players of all time. He even got himself the nicknames Air Jordan and His Airness, because of his jumping ability. Another one of his accomplishments was that he passed Wilt Chamberlain to become the third highest scorer of all time in the NBA. Other than one of the greatest basketball players of all time, Michael Jordan has done many things like star in the movie Space Jam with Bugs Bunny and other Looney Tune characters by his side. Charities are also something Jordan has put his time and money into. Jordan has his own charity and also hosts a golf tournament to raise money to give to charities like Boys and Girls Club of America, UNCF/College Fund, Special Olympics, and many more. Not only has Michael Jordan done great things on the court but off the court as well.

You may know a lot about Michael Jordan as an adult, but I’m going to tell you a little bit about his childhood, too. Jordan was born in Brooklyn, New York, on February 17, 1963 and then his family moved to Wilmington, North Carolina where he grew up and went to high school. While Jordan was in high school he tried out for the varsity basketball team as a sophomore and was cut. The next years as a junior and senior he started for the team that now plays in the gym that is named after him. After he graduated from high school he went to play basketball at North Carolina(UNC) for coach Dean Smith, who is second on the all time win list college men’s basketball with 879 wins, and where he helped lead his team to the NCAA national championship. A little while after this, in 1984, he went to go to play in the NBA for the Chicago Bulls along with Scotty Pippen and Dennis Rodman. These three men helped lead the Bulls to many NBA championships including two three-peat’s until he retired on October 6, 1993 for the first time, and went to play baseball for about two years. He then went back to the NBA in 1995, where he once again played on the Bulls with Scotty Pippen. This is when the second three peat happened. He retired once again and then returned to the NBA in 2000, to play for the Washington Wizards. He retired for his third and last in 2003. Michael then started helping with charities and now currently lives in Highland Park, Illinois in his mansion.

Everybody has a lot of the same reasons why Michael Jordan is their hero. I might have the same, but there are some different ones also. One reason is that he has made the world a better place to live for millions of people by contributing to the UNCF/ College Fund charity. Inspiration is another thing he has given people, whether they want to be an NBA all star like he is or if they want to help people, like he helped people. A good leader and teammate are other qualities he possessed; qualities that I look for in people and myself. These are a few ways he is my hero.

Michael Jordan has had an impact on my life. One, he is a sports legend and has given me someone to look up to because if I make it, it would be really cool if I was a legend in one sport. He has also helped a lot of people and that has taught me that even though you may be a jock of some sort you can always find time to help other people that don’t have the things you do. I don’t have a lot of these reasons, only two, but I think they are pretty good and have made an impact big or small on my life.

So, in conclusion my hero is not someone that did great things in the past, but is still doing great things today. Michael Jordan is my hero because he was an athlete, but he wasn’t greedy with his money. He helped people that are less fortunate. I will now share with you another great quote that he said that everybody should do. This quote is “ I can accept failure, but I can’t accept not trying.” This quote is how I try to live my life.