Maria Teresa

by Monica from Van Nuys

My hero is my Grandma Teresa.

My true hero is my Grandma Teresa. She means a lot to me, she really inspires me to do things because she accomplished so much even with all the obstacles she had in her life. I think that if the things that happened to my grandma would have happened to another person, they wouldn’t be where my grandma is right now.

My Grandma Teresa’s life was really rough when she was growing up. When she was only seven years old, she lost her father to lung cancer. Her mother suffered from serious health issues of her own, which had a very painful and heartbreaking affect on their relationship.

As my grandma got older and grew up, her life became better because she met my Grandpa Francisco. He made her life so much better. They had eight kids together, four of them twins. She was so happy. But what she didn’t expect was the tragedy that happened. When my Grandma Teresa was pregnant with her last kids, my Aunt Diana and Uncle Francisco, my Grandpa Francisco died. A robber shot him on his way home from work. That’s when my grandma’s world fell apart again.

My grandma became a single mom with eight kids. Luckily, my oldest aunt, Jasmine, helped my grandma take care of her children. But my grandma still had to work and take care of 8 kids. She never gave up, not even when my Uncle Ruben died. He was five years old when he drowned in a pool.

Even though my grandma went through all these troubles in her life, she managed to move on with her life, to be a happy person and take care of 7 kids. These 7 children grew up to become wonderful adults who have accomplished a lot in there lives too. I think that if my grandma managed to do all these things being a single mom, then any single mom out there in the world can do it too. That’s why my grandma is my idol and my motivation to go on with my life and to not let anyone or anything stop me from being who I want to be and doing what I want to do.