Malcolm X

by Azha from San Diego

Malcolm X at age 21 (left) and at age 38 (right) (theeducatedfieldnegro.tumblr.com ())

Imagine a man not afraid to die. A man who gave his life for a dream. A man who fought in every way: verbally, physically, mentally, and emotionally. Imagine a man who wouldn't stop at any risks. His name was Malcolm X. Malcolm X not only fit all of these qualities, but he inspired us along the way. Born Malcolm Little, a slave name which later changed to Malcolm X, signifying an unknown, in a small town of Omaha, Nebraska, a hero arrived. He was a born into a slave family on May 19, 1925 when things were at there worst for colored citizens. He was highly intelligent and even wanted to be a lawyer until his seventh grade teacher told him it was impossible for that to happen. At the age of 15, he dropped out of school for this matter and quickly became a criminal. As humans we have learned, grown, and evolved as time went by. Even Malcolm X changed his ways when he discovered the Nation of Islam and became a Muslim. This man began to fight against racism in many ways as he learned how people would listen and do to what he said.

"When twenty-one, he was sentenced to prison for burglary (for ten years). After six years Malcolm was released from prison." ("Malcolm X." Malcolm X). While in prison, Elijah Muhammad, a Muslim fighting against racism, showed Malcolm X about the Nation of Islam. Malcolm then learned the ways of peace and selflessness and quickly changed his ways. "After his parole in 1952, Malcolm X became a brilliant and charismatic speaker, building the Nation of Islam from 400 to 40,000 members" ("Malcolm X." Malcolm X). This shows just how much of a great speaker he was managing the ability to grow a religion rapidly, which he only did in 8 years. This also shows that even heroes have bad pasts but he changed his criminal ways and improved. 

Malcolm X at a mosque (malcolmxfromhustlertohero.wordpress.com ())

His conversion to Islam really had a major and positive impact on not only his life, but those around him. His knowledge of Islam made him realize that you should not fight physically. "After his epiphany at Mecca, Malcolm X returned to the United States less angry and more optimistic about the prospects for peaceful resolution to America's race problems" ("Malcolm X." Malcolm X). This is inspirational because it shows that even a man from a small town can fight and it doesn't have to be through violence, but peace.

Malcolm X is an inspiration for standing up against racism in order to achieve equal rights. "As a civil rights leader he advocated racial separatism over integration and the legitimacy of violence in self-defense" ("Malcolm X." Malcolm X). This shows that his policy was well thought especially how he would only fight verbally unless it was for self-defense and not just stand there or full on fight back to not show forfeit and anger. This shows a man who is not afraid to die. A man who gave his life for other and eventually did get shot several times for standing up to what was right. He might be gone, but his spirit and inspiration still

spreads towards the lives of others.