Martin the Warrior

by Alvis from Fremont

Martin the Warrior!!!
Martin te warrior with his sword and sheild. (www.elfwood.com)

My hero is Martin the Warrior from the book series of Redwall. All the characters in the series are animals. Martin is a brave mouse who holds the sword of his father, Luke the Warrior. He has done many fantastic things that helped creatures.

The book, Mossflower (www.pktaylor.com)
The book, Mossflower (www.pktaylor.com)

In the book Mossflower, a place called Mossflower was taken by a cat tyrant named Greeneye. Martin had been traveling when he was captured by Greeneye’s soldiers. Greeneye, his daughter, Tsarmina, and her brother discussed what they should do with him. Tsarmina wanted to kill him, but Greeneye and her brother wanted to lock him up. While Greeneye and his son questioned Martin, Tsarmina had taken the warrior’s sword and slammed the door into it, breaking the sword and then gave the hilt back to Martin. This was when Martin made a vow that he would kill Tsarmina for breaking the sword before he was locked up. Then, Tsarmina poisoned him and locked her brother in the deepest, wettest, darkest cell so that she could become ruler. While being locked up he met Gonff the Prince of Mousethieves, who had also been caught, helped him escape. After many battles fought by otters, squirrels, and mice against rats, weasels, pine martins, and stoats, Martin and the others flooded the castle, forcing everyone inside to come out. Finally, Martin gets to fight Tsarmina. After a hard fought battle, Martin succeeds in slaying her, but he is very injured and faints from loss of blood.

The book, Martin the Warrior (en.wikipedia.org)

In the book Martin the Warrior, Martin was captured by Badrang the tyrant to help build his fortress, Marshank, as a slave. Badrang had taken his sword and Martin vows to escape, help the other slaves escape, and kill Badrang. After bravely attacking one of Badrang’s followers for whipping a slave, Badrang decided that Martin was dangerous and sentenced him to death. Martin was tied to a pole on a high cliff overnight with a rotting fish hanging from his neck to attract birds. Seagulls were circling overhead and are flying lower and lower. Then, Martin met Laterose and her friend Grumm. Laterose’s brother had also been taken captive and used a perfect imitation of a hunting eagle to scare off the seagulls. Eventually, Martin had gathered an army of animals and attacked Marshank. Badrang was killed in the battle, but they had also lost a good friend. Laterose had died in the battle also.

The book, The Legend of Luke (www.lookingglassreview.com)

In the book The Legend of Luke, the abbey is being built, but Martin is restless. He wants to know how and why his father, Luke, died. His friends noticed and found out what was wrong. Later, Martin left with his friends to the caves where his fathers tribe had lived. In one of the caves, Martin finds an old mouse who mistakes his for Luke. Martin told his his true identity and the mouse led them to some tall rocks poking out of the sea. On top of one of the rocks, the was a hare who was also old. Martin and his buddies climbed to the top and the hare led inside half a red ship trapped up between two of the rocks. Inside there was a book made by the mouse and the hare that said all the things that happened to Luke.Everyone sat down and listened as the old mouse read. Eventually, when he finished reading, Martin and his friends went home to their beloved abbey.

Redwall Abbey (davidelliot.org)
Redwall Abbey (davidelliot.org)

Though Martin died after helping build Redwall Abbey, his spirit is still in the red sandstones used to build it, ready to help the creatures inside when there is danger.

The Redwall Wiki - Learn more about the books and the author, Brian Jacques.