Mark McGwire

by Joseph from Selden, New York

Mark When Comes Success (Redsenquirer.com)

A hero is a person that is not just ordinary but stands out in a positive way and is looked up to by many children and even young adults. My hero is Mark Mcgwire “The Homerun King.” Mark McGwire demonstrated much perseverance. As a baseball player there are definitely low points but with hard work comes the enjoyment of success. It takes a lot of resilience to be honored with the title of “The Homerun King.” For Mark to become a successful baseball player and play with others as a team there is dicipline required. Mark McGwire is all around a great, strong willed individual and athlete.

sports (GIFs.net)
sports (GIFs.net)

To become successful there has to be a beginning. Mark was born on October 1, 1963. He was raised in a household with five other siblings with his father, John and mother, Ginger. Marks parents were looked upon by Mark's friends as "quality." Mark's entire household was into sports. His father golfed and even boxed, dealing with a disability since he was seven years old. Mark's brothers played all kinds of school sports like baseball, football, and bodybuilding. With all of this support, Mark became a well-rounded athlete. Mark did outstanding in school as well. Mark took pre-college courses.

Alskan Baseball Team (www.alaskan-legacies.com)

High school was Mark's big break into his future career. On the ball field Mark pitched, at a clocked 85mph, played first base, and batted clean up. The team name was the Damanian High Spartans which Mark McGwire led in hitting as well as many pitching records. Many scouts came to games to watch Mark play. The decision between going to college and playing for for their team or going straight to the minors and working his way up to the majors was difficult. This was a big choice that had to be made.

Mark then attended The University of Southern California. He had not done as well as intended with a batting record of .200. The following summer, Mark had came to a conclusion to play for the Anchorage Glacier Pilots. Because of Mark's resilence, his coach changed his hand position on the bat which made a noticeable improvement. The first two weeks with the Anchorage Glacier Pilots Mark hit an ashtonishing .450. He later completed the season with a batting average of .403 and 53 RBI's.

With Mark McGwire reaching eligibility of entering into the amateur draft and finishing three solid season performances on the USC Titans, he knew he was ready for the major leagues. He had an offer from the New York Mets that eventually didn't work out, so then he was drafted by the Oakland A's. Before Mark was officially signed, he married Kathy Williamson. With Mark's determination toward baseball he bacame part of the 1984 USA Olympic team, receiving a a gold madal. With Mark in a slump as a result of the adjustment to the minors and playing a new position at 3rd base, he came across the thought of quitting. He came to his senses and stuck with it and broke his slump, getting him the rookie of the year award.

Mark On The Cardinals (http://www.thinkmuscle.com/images/mcgwire02.jpg)

On August 20, 1986 Mark reached his overall dream, he was placed in he A's major league clubhouse. Within four days Mark had his first major league hit in Yankee Stadium. "The Homerun King" finished the season breaking the rookie record of 38 homeruns by 12.

Mark McGwire skipped the last game of the season closing in on his 50th homerun to be with his wife, who was about to give birth to his first son Matthew, born October fourth. Mark quoted "I will never have another first child, but will have another chance to hit fifty homeruns." Mark and Kathy were soon to get divorced.

As seasons pasted Mark had many occurences of injury. Mark fell into another slow point of his career and started turning to any advice, even from screaming fans in the stands. Jay, one of Mark's brothers, became a fitness trainer and stayed with Mark to help him in strength training. It was a success and had Mark come into the next season hitting his 200th career homerun on June 10, 1992.

Mark became a free agent and was traded to the Cardinals. On the Cardinals the question of “could he pass Babe Ruth and Roger Maris?” Sammy Sosa in the memorable season was a friend to Mark as well as a rival, tying the record with Mark. Mark later broke the tie and ended this incredible season with a new record of 70 homeruns.

Mark's record breaking shot was off the Cubs' Steve Tachel, a low outside fast ball. When Mark connected, he was in shock and ended up missing first base, having to walk back and touch it. Believe it or not, it was the shortest homerun, 341 feet, of his season. Both of Mark’s parents were in the stands as well as his son, who jumped into Mark’s arms right after touching home plate. Mark later got on the microphone and said “I dedicate this homerun to the whole city of St. Louis and all the fans here. Thank you for all your support. It’s unbelievable. All my family, everybody, my son, Chicago Cubs, Sammy Sosa- it’s unbelievable.” That season was his last but most memorable. He received a 1962 corvette and his memorable 70th homerun ball. His name was placed in with other baseball greats in Cooperstown, New York.

Mark did not hang prized bats jerseys, balls or trophies in his off- season home and doesn’t carry much of an ego which is, I think, a great quality making him my hero. Mark McGwire was an outstanding athlete and had a lot to show for it. Anyone with the strength, the will and perseverance of Mark could be put in the record books for just about anything they want.

Myspace Layouts
MySpace Layouts
MySpace Graphics
MySpace Comments
Myspace Layouts