Miranda

by Jacob from Pickerington

Miranda is from the book
Miranda is from the book

A hero is somebody who cares about others more than themselves. They are always looking to help people and will do what’s right whenever possible. The hero in a story might not always be perfect but will learn from their mistakes and generally be a good person.

I believe that it is important to have a hero. Your hero will be somebody who has the same morals as you and you can look up to them. A hero can guide you in life and help you by being a model of how to become the person you hope to be. Also, they influence your decisions through their actions and hopefully you can become a better person by looking up to them. A hero is a moral guide that can help you in tough times and they are important to have.

The character in my novel that showed characteristics of a hero was the main character, Miranda. She was not technically the hero of the story, however, she showed qualities that are present in a hero. In one part of the book it says “Sometimes you never feel meaner than the moment you stop being mean” (Stead 144). Here, she realizes that just because everyone at her school is making fun of this girl doesn’t mean that she should too. This shows that she can step up and do what’s right even though nobody else is. Another example comes directly from Miranda when she says, “I’m trying to save you, here.” (Stead 174). This quote happens in a scene where a boy is falsely accused of a crime and she’s trying to help him. The right thing to do would be to help this boy because he is innocent and Miranda sees this and helps him. Throughout the entire book, Miranda’s mom is practicing for a game show and Miranda says “I really think you’re going to win” (Stead 28) Miranda encourages her mom but she also helps her prepare for the event. She realizes when people are in need and she helps them out like a true hero.

The hero hall of fame should seriously consider inducting Miranda. Throughout the book she helps many people such as Julia, her mom, Alice, and Marcus. Julia wanted to get her old friend back and Miranda was standing in the way so she stepped aside so they could mend their friendship. Her mother was studying for a game show and Miranda helped in many ways. Miranda helped Alice overcome embarrassment and she helped Marcus avoid getting in trouble. These are all things that a hero would do and she does them because they’re the right things to do.

Me: Who is your hero and why?
Miranda: Well, I’d say that my mom is my hero. She’s just such a kind woman and she helps me out a lot.
Me: Do you feel as if you model your actions after your mothers?
Miranda: Well, like I said, she’s so nice and I hope that someday I’ll be as caring as she is. So, yes.
Me: Why do you help people when they’re in need?
Miranda: I think that nobody deserves to be sad or lonely so I think that helping people is the right thing to do.
Me: You like to write, I’ve heard. Who inspires your writing?
Miranda: I’d say Madeleine L’Engle inspires me because she’s my favorite author. Me: Would you consider her to be your hero also?
Miranda: She’s an extremely good author and very smart and I think she’s my hero when it comes to writing.
Me: Madeleine L’Engle wrote your favorite book, “A Wrinkle In Time.” What draws you to this book?
Miranda: I think the main reason is how thought provoking it is. Also, the main character really inspires me to be a hero.
Me: What qualities should a good hero have?
Miranda: They should always look out for the little guy. They should also care about others more than themselves.
Me: Are you proud of who you are?
Miranda: Everybody could use improvement! For the most mart, however, I’m satisfied.
Me: Does living without a father affect you?
Miranda: If my mother wasn’t such a good mother then it would be harder but sometimes, I still long for a father.