Molly the Pony

by Elissa from The Woodlands

Molly with her leg on (www.snopes.com)
Molly with her leg on (www.snopes.com)

Molly is a unique little pony that was abandoned during Hurricane Katrina. She spent weeks on her own before being rescued and taken to a farm, while there, a pit bull gnawed on poor Molly’s front right leg. The leg got infected and Molly almost died. The vet went to LSU for help.

No one thought she would make it until surgeon Rustin Moore saw Molly. He noticed that she was careful to lie down on different sides so she doesn’t get sores and that she constantly shifted weight so her good leg wasn’t overloaded. “Molly is a very smart pony with serious survival ethnic.” Says Moore.

Putting Molly's leg on (www.snopes.com)
Putting Molly's leg on (www.snopes.com)

Later, Molly went through surgery and had the injured leg amputated and she was given a prosthetic leg.

“This was the right owner with the right pony,” Moore insists. Molly was a one-in-a-million patient. Molly’s story becomes a parable for life in the after Katrina Louisiana. Molly finally gained weight and her mane felt a comb.

“The prosthetic leg gave Molly a whole new life.” Reports Allison Barca, Molly’s regular vet. “She will tell you when she wants her leg on.” Says Barca. “She will stick out her little limb to let you know she wants it on. She will tell you if she wants it off too.” Sometimes, Molly gets away from Barca. “It gets pretty bad when you can’t catch a 3-legged pony!” says Barca.

“It’s obvious to me that Molly has a bigger role to play in life.” Moore says “She survived a hurricane, she survived a fatal injury, and now she is giving hope to others.”

Molly is an amazing pony with an amazing story. I hope that one day, Molly will be a hero to many people.

Meet Molly - Another story of Molly
Molly with Others - Molly giving others hope