Moondragon

by Ari from Highlands Ranch

Moondragon in her first costume
Moondragon in her first costume

You may have never heard of Moondragon. She was a Marvel book character who modeled the characteristics of a hero for me. She wasn't an Avenger. She was one of the Guardians of the Galaxy. Moondragon went through a lot. She had been possessed by a Dragon, fought a robot, disappeared and then reappeared on some planet created by a 6 year old. She has amazing telepathic powers, is a master martial artist, has minor telekinetic powers, and is a highly skilled geneticist.

She started out as just a normal girl. Heather Douglas was born in Los Angeles, California, daughter of Arthur and Yvette Steckley Douglas. When Heather was still a girl, her father was driving her and her mother through the desert when they accidentally happened to see the spaceship of Thanos land, a space villain who didn't want any witnesses, so he blew up their car. Heather survived, but both her parents were killed. Ironically, she was found by Thanos' father, Mentor, who took her to his home world, Titan, to be raised by the monks of Shao-Lom.

With the help of the monks, Heather developed her body to its full potential, becoming a martial artist. They taught Heather various disciplines such as chemistry and engineering, but most significantly, they helped Heather tap into her psionic powers. Heather was even able to develop her mental powers far beyond those of her teachers. So much so that she eventually mentally contacted a powerful villain called The Dragon of the Moon.The Dragon immediately tried to take her over, but she fought back, driving the Dragon away. This filled her with an overwhelming sense of pride. So she took the name Moondragon. Later on, Thanos attacked Titan, destroying the monastery of the Shao-Lom monks. Moondragon escaped in her spaceship and fled to Earth.

She returned to Earth under the guise of "Madam MacEvil" for the purpose of developing means to beat Thanos, but this led to the creation of villains, such as Angar the Screamer, Ramrod, and the Dark Messiah. In her first appearance (in Marvel comic books), she forced Iron Man to battle Namor, so that she could study them. Then she revealed her true identity and helped the Avengers in their first battle with Thanos. She met Hellcat and took her to Titan so she could train her.

So far, since Marvel comics is still making comics, she hasn't died yet. She has accomplished a lot in such a short time, such as training Hellcat, matching and exceeding the psionic power of Mantis, overwhelming Thanos and once, she came upon a planet where all the inhabitant's were fighting, and using her psionic powers she was able to control the whole planet and stop them from fighting. She has also restored Daredevil's sight briefly because of her pressure point skills, has changed her costume three times, and on top of that she got over losing her parent's at such a young age. I chose her because she was very heroic because of these things that I have mentioned. Ever since I heard of her, I've looked up to her. I never knew my parents and I have always wanted to have her powers.