Nathan Hale

by James from San Diego

A statue of Nathan Hale in City Park (http://www.sonsoftherevolution.org/sotr_nathanhale (The Sons of the Revolution))

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty" (John F. Kennedy). Nathan Hale's pride for his country led to the inspiration of many. He was born in Coventry, Connecticut in 1755 as a farm boy. Later, he studied and graduated from Yale and became a school teacher. But when the Revolutionary war broke out, Hale immediately joined the army's ranks and became a lieutenant. And a year after the Revolution started he became part of Knowlton's Rangers, a group which gathered intelligence for the army. Hale then accepted a dangerous mission on spying for the British. His determination and diligence brought him to contribute a difference for his country. As an outstandingly courageous man, Nathan Hale displayed his patriotism through his chivalrous mission and inspired many.

Nathan Hale spying on the British (http://www.history.com/photos/american-revolution- (Bettmann/CORBIS))

Hale's courage driven attitude led him to take on many tasks in his short life. During the Revolution, George Washington was becoming desperate for information so he consulted Knowlton's Rangers. "As a 21-year-old captain in the Continental Army who's spotless moral character was universally admired, Hale courageously volunteered in September 1776 for the dangerous mission of reconnoitering British army positions in the New York City Area" (James  Hudson). Hale's acceptance to the spy mission demonstrates his absolute bravery because he only wants to help his country, regardless of the danger. Also, the fact that it was voluntary meant that the job was dangerous enough to be not forced upon anyone. When Hale accepted the mission, he also accepted the dangers and cautions that came with it. During the spy mission in New York, Hale displayed little fear and nervousness. "For the next few days he gathered information about enemy positions, making drawings of fortifications and writing descriptions of everything he saw" (Paul Nelson). His diligence and courage to continue spying while in danger was extraordinary. The pure focus and concentration he spent on he spent on unfamiliar grounds was fueled by his bottomless courage. Hale's acceptance to the deadly mission that was against all odds shows great courage and effort.

Even at the face of death, Nathan Hale's pride and morality as a patriot stayed strong until the end. After Hale was captured in 1776 by the British in New York and was about to be hung, he spoke his most famous misquoted phrase, "I am so satisfied with the cause in which I have engaged that my only regret is that I have not more lives than one to offer in its service" (Nathan hale). His resounding words beamed his pride as an American but the sadness that he could not continue to fight for his country. The fact that he puts his country over his life is an amazing mentality held by an true patriot. His patriotism and pride resounded throughout America. At the steps of death, Hale continues to view superiority over the persecutors and die in an honorable fashion. He then spoke, "You are shedding the blood of the innocent; if I had ten thousand lives, I would lay them down in defense of my injured bleeding country" (Nathan Hale). After he finished speaking, he was immediately hung to death. His patriotism and pride resounded throughout America. At the steps of death, Hale continues to view superiority over the persecutors and die in an honorable fashion. Hale's patriotism and honor as man of America displayed him to be an honorable soldier.

Nathan Hale had the amazing ability to face down any challenge which was driven by his overflowing patriotism and morality. Throughout his short twenty-one-year-life, his main feat was his bravery on the spy mission in New York. Ultimately, his courage and bravery boosted his ability to do whatever he could for his country. Hale is defiantly considered a brave hero to all who know his name. Even before death, his will and pride was never broken irradiating inspiration. Nathan Hale's efforts are always know today as one of the most heroic men to live and his life will always be held in the books of history.

Nelson, Paul D. "Nathan Hale." Ebsco Biography Referance Center. American National Biography, 1 Oct. 2010. Web. 9 Dec. 2012.

"Hale, Nathan." American Revolution Reference Library. Ed. Barbara Bigelow, Stacy A. McConnell, and Linda Schmittroth. Vol. 1: Biographies, Vol. 1. Detroit: UXL, 2000. 178-186. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 10 Dec. 2012.

"Spies and Spying." U*X*L Encyclopedia of U.S. History. Sonia Benson, Daniel E. Brannen, Jr., and Rebecca Valentine. Ed. Lawrence W. Baker and Sarah Hermsen. Vol. 7. Detroit: UXL, 2009. 1468-1470. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 10 Dec. 2012.