Nelson Mandela

by Evan from San Diego

(http://www.people.com/ ())
(http://www.people.com/ ())

Nelson Mandela

Imagine the president of your country being elected directly after serving 27 years in prison: this is the deceivingly heroic story of Nelson Mandela's life. Mandela was born on July 18, 1918 in Mvezo, South Africa ("Nelson Mandela Biography."). At the time of his birth, the apartheid or the racial segregation of South Africa, was in full effect. Mandela, being colored of skin, had minimal respect from his country. Mandela knew he had to be the first to stand up against his government, in order to legally make everyone equal. To achieve this, he sacrificed 27 years of his life in prison for his fellow black South Africans. He was punished in this manner due to his effort to end apartheid ("Nelson Mandela."). He was later released from prison because he helped bring down the Botha government. He went on to be the first democratically elected president of South Africa. Mandela proved that he was a hero through his deeds through his words. Mandela is a true hero because he possesses bravery and integrity that transformed the racial landscape in South Africa forever.

(http://www.theguardian.com ())
(http://www.theguardian.com ())

Mandela possessed the bravery and courage in order to stand up his unjust government. The native South Africans knew that the white people of their country have been in control. They knew that standing up in opposition could result in life in prison, but they needed to earn respect their government. "I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities."("Biography of Nelson Mandela.") Nelson Mandela had to work hard and have the bravery not only to stand up against the white landowners of South Africa, but also created hope for his people. He believed that the two races were equal("Nelson Mandela - Moral Heroes."). Mandela gave up his personal freedom in order to bring equality to the people in South Africa. He spent most of his life in prison to achieve equality and freedom for the rest of the country. His personal sacrifice the success of Nelson Mandela campaign for freedom as he spent 27 years in prison as a tribute to his country. "With patience, wisdom and a willingness to sacrifice for others, Nelson Mandela led a movement to unify a divided nation and reconcile decades of pain and racism."(Kylie, Jay) He knew the road to peace was not going to be smooth. He had to give up time with his wife, parents, brothers and sisters. While he was in prison, his mother died. It took tenacity to stand up and continue his resistance movement. It took moral strength to stand up against the most powerful people in South Africa. Mandela used his bravery and courage to make him the hero that he is today.

Mandela also possessed the integrity, that gave  him the power to push forward for the future of his country. This was possibly his most important trait because his valor was derived from his integrity. His personal morals gave him the strength to push forward in his goal to constitute all people equal. "Nelson Mandela never wavered in his devotion to democracy, equality and learning. Despite terrible provocation, he never answered racism with racism. His life is an inspiration to all who are oppressed and deprived."("Biography of Nelson Mandela.") Nelson Mandela did what was just by making both races equal. He didn't fight against the apartheid groups, instead he tried to reason with them. "..he never answered racism with racism"("Biography of Nelson Mandela." Mandela's campaign was peaceful because that was the kind of person he was. He knew peace was easier achieved through words than war. After he was released from prison, Mandela was elected the first democratic President of South Africa. He used his powers as president for the good of his nation. "He turned his attention as well to the future of Africa and established the Mandela Rhodes Foundation to help prepare skilled leaders for the coming generations. The foundation provided scholarships to university students who demonstrated exceptional leadership and academic skills." ( "Nelson Mandela.")  Mandela used his time in office wisely. He started foundations for the young scholars of South Africa. He had the vision to start a foundation for future leaders. Nelson did what was morally right for his country. His virtue was a key factor in his legacy and his recognition of being a model citizen. He was recognized by being elected the first democratic president of South Africa. Mandela was a man full of integrity and kindness with a knowledgeable attitude towards his actions.

(http://www.duniamagazine.com/ ())
(http://www.duniamagazine.com/ ())

Mandela shaped the history of South Africa forever by using his traits of bravery and integrity. He sacrificed years of his life in order to make the world a better place. His marriage and time with his parents and friends was sacrificed. Mandela achieved his life goal as he said in one of his speeches. "I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities."("Biography of Nelson Mandela.") Mandela inspired me because he knew his road was bumpy. He had a fork in the road and he choose the uphill slope. He choose not to avoid the pain that was to come but to stand up and do something about it. We all can make a change in others lives in a positive direction. Life is a gift, be grateful and don't waste it.

Work Cited

"Biography of Nelson Mandela." Biography - Nelson Mandela Foundation. Nelson Mandela             

Foundation,     2015. Web. 01 May 2015.   

Kylie, Jay. "Nelson Mandela - Moral Heroes." Moral Heroes RSS. N.p., 17 July 2011. Web. 04 May    

2015.

"Nelson Mandela Biography." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, 2015. Web. 01 May 2015.          

"P.W. Botha Biography." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, 2015. Web. 18 May 2015.

"Nelson Mandela." History.com. A&E Television Networks, 2015. Web. 07 May 2015.