Nelson Mandela

by Markus and Maddie from North Eugene High School

Nelson Mandela (http://blog.beliefnet.com/moviemom/nelson%20mandela.jpg)

Maddie De Board
Nelson Mandela Biography

Nelson Mandela was born on July 18, 1918 in a small town in the Cape of Good Hope area. At a young age he began herding cattle, and continued doing so until he was seven years old and began attending school. Mandela would become the first person in his family to receive Western education. Further down the road in his life, Nelson would come to study law.

After many years as a lawyer in Johannesburg, Mandela opened his own law firm in 1952. It was the first black office in the city.

After being arrested time and time again for treason, Mandela went into hiding in 1961. While Nelson was in hiding he became one of the leaders who created the group called Umkhonto we Sizwe, but the very next year was captured and sentenced to life in prison. His charges were that of sabotage against his country.

He was released from prison in 1980 at the age of 72 after a large petition was formed for his freedom.

In 1993, Nelson was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts in peacefully resolving the fight against Apartheid. The very next year he became the first black president in South Africa. He would end his career as president in 1999, but to this day he continues to be an active part in South African politics, and the politics of the world.

Markus Kirkpatrick
Beliefs and Ideology

Nelson Mandela’s beliefs and ideology is well known and documented. Mandela believed strongly in ending apartheid and originally he used violence to try and do so.

As Nelson grew older he matured and he decided not to use violence anymore for the goal of peace between all races. Nelson Mandela continuously put his life in danger on the hopes of ending apartheid.

Nelson ended up serving twenty-seven years in prison for charges and sabotage against the government. Nelson led charges against the government and made it well known that he believed in equality in everyone and because of his bravery people began to follow him and he would later become president of South Africa beating out former president F.W. de Klerk who freed him from prison.

Nelson Mandela would also go on to win over two hundred and fifty awards including the noble peace prize. Mandela will forever go on to be a hero and a sign of peace and equality for everyone.

"Nelson Mandela Biography." Biography.com. A&E Television Networks, 2010. Web. 18 Feb. 2010. http://www.biography.com/blackhistory/featured-biography/nelson-mandela.jsp

"Biography ." Nelson Mandela Foundation. Web. 24 Feb. 2010. .