Nick Vujicic

by Katie from San Diego

"My stunned dad was outside, wondering whether he had seen what he thought he saw. When the pediatrician came out to speak with him, he cried out, 'My son, he has no arm!' 'Actually,' the pediatrician said as sensitively as possible, 'your son has neither arms nor legs'. My mum couldn't bear what she was seeing: her child without limbs. Instead of celebrating my birth, my parents and their whole church mourned" (Vujicic 4-5). The birth of a new baby is typically one of the most joyful experiences a mother goes through. Bearing a child and finally holding him in her arms makes suffering for nine long months worthwhile. But Nick's appearance was a huge surprise to his parents. They did not instantly accept his disability. As Nick grew older, he struggled with depression, and at his lowest point, attempted to commit suicide. He stopped himself when he pictured his parents standing guiltily at his funeral, and his outlook on life changed. Although it seemed like he was cursed with a disability, Nick began to shift his perspective, realizing how blessed he was to be given a chance at life.  He finally understood why he was born disabled, and went on to write Life Without Limits, found Attitude is Altitude, and consequently inspire millions of people with his story. Nick Vujicic, a man born without limbs, overcame obstacles faced by his physical disability, proving that he is an inspiration. As a public speaker, he demonstrates his bravery to rise above his disability, stays morally grounded in this shifting culture, and keeps an open mind and positive attitude towards life. 

Nick bravely overcame his physical disability and became a public speaker, reaching millions across the globe. However, before he gained his worldwide status, he had to first transition from being a baby to a child. Childhood is usually a carefree time of happiness, but in Nick's situation: "he battle[d] with loneliness and depression but credits his faith in God as well as his family and the people who encouraged him for his passion, strength, and victory over his struggles" ("Motivational Speaker Nick Vujicic Waited Until Marriage"). While Nick had to deal with his personal struggles, there were also problems that came from the outside. Bullies taunted him for not being normal, even though his lack of limbs was not something that he could control. Vujicic battled with depression, because other children judged him based on his looks, not his heart. He experienced more trials than the average child, and he could have easily given up. Life was challenging for Nick from the moment he was born, but he persevered through hardships and emerged victorious because he did not let his disability define him. With faith and family to support him, Nick demonstrated a stronger resiliency than any other four-limbed person could ever have. He also pursued a career that most four-limbed people find daunting. Public speaking is a challenge for anyone, with or without disabilities. However, Nick did not let standards discourage him, because: "At age nineteen he began traveling around the world giving motivational talks, speaking about his disability, and sharing his faith in God" ("Nick Vujicic"). Even though a majority of people fear public speaking, Nick was willing and courageous in pursuing that path. He is aware that many people, especially teenagers, struggle with their self-image. He himself was a teenager when he began to speak, so he could relate to their issues. Nick could have lost confidence in himself, but he did not. He also realized that he had been born without limbs for a reason, and that reason was to reach people in a way that a normal speaker could not. A limbless man who is willing to appreciate his body encourages others with arms and legs to accept themselves as well. But, there were risks that came along with the benefits. Even though there was the possibility that people would respond negatively to his testimony, he bravely took a leap of faith. He stuck through and became a witness of how encouraging results can arise from unfavorable beginnings. Nick defeated his drawbacks and took up public speaking to share his story of faith and perseverance.  

Nick is attentive to his morals and abides by them. He recognizes that while humans have the freedom to make decisions, not all may be beneficial. He chooses carefully based on God's standards of what is right and wrong. Specifically on the topic of sex, Nick: "made a choice to keep my virginity until I'm married. Because it's proof beyond words that my wife was worth waiting for" ("Motivational Speaker Nick Vujicic Waited Until Marriage"). Many celebrities nowadays do not practice abstinence, even though in their conscience they know that they are not doing what is right. Media glamorizes sex, even before marriage, which encourages teenagers and young adults to do it as well. But Nick stays grounded in his morals, which include abstaining from sex until marriage. He discerns between right and wrong with God's guidance. In addition, Nick is not a person who caves into negative peer pressure. He acts on his own choices, because he recognizes that humans are fallible, so they do not always make the right decisions. This leads to consequences and negative responses, and people need something to restore them. For Nick, his faith is what strengthened him. When he had reached his lowest point, "his faith in God [became] a central message and motivating factor in his life" ("Nick Vujicic"). When Nick is serious about something, it influences all aspects of his life. And when he believes that something is true, he confidently places his trust in it. His morals are not easily swayed, and he does not change his opinion based on what fits in. This implies that he makes his decisions carefully, because he understands that they will greatly impact him, in either a positive or negative way. Nick places value in God's standards of morality, and attempts to follow through and make decisions based on them. 

Although Nick could have felt like everything was against him, he chose to expand his perspective and look at both sides of the picture. While it seemed like there were not any options for Nick, he could: "either be angry at God for what I don't have or be thankful for what I do have. My mom said, 'Nick, God's going to use you. I don't know how.  I don't know when, but God's going to use you.' And those seeds started penetrating in my heart. That's when I started seeing that there is no point in being complete on the outside when you're broken on the inside" (Watts). There were different sides to his disability, and when his mom suggested it, Nick was willing to examine both parts. He could have been resentful of his bearings, but he chose to be thankful for being alive. He does not take his life for granted. He lost his bitterness and anger when he realized that his disability was intended. God had individually shaped him without all of his limbs so that more people would be touched by his story. Nick also realized that it is the inside that counts. The way he looks does not matter, since it is his character that makes him unique. Nick's personality, not his appearance, draws people to listen to him speak. He encourages his audience and: "shares the importance of having a vision, dreaming big, and letting go of mental or physical obstacles that people think are keeping them from having a positive or profound life" ("Nick Vujicic"). He inspires others to see the good, instead of the bad. Obstacles are thrown at people everyday, but they should think about what favorable outcomes can result from those situations instead of focusing on the negatives. His story uplifts people when they are feeling low, because he focuses on what he can do, not what he cannot. Nick stays open to different possibilities despite his lack of limbs.

In his book, Life Without Limits, Nick Vujicic states: "As difficult as it might be to live without limbs, my life still had value to be shared. There was nothing I lacked that would prevent me from making a difference in the world. My joy would be to encourage and inspire others" (Vujicic 24). As a motivational speaker, he encourages people to appreciate and have confidence in themselves. His story inspires me to be thankful for every day I have and the blessings I receive. Nick's circumstances are more difficult than mine, but because he keeps an open mind, he still manages to find peace and purpose in his life. Nick bravely accepted his disability and did not allow it to overtake him, but is determined to reach more people with his story of resiliency. Likewise, he is steadfast in holding to his morals, because he places value in them. He is an inspiration because of his bravery to become a speaker, strength to stay morally guarded, and voluntariness to keep an open mind. Even though he was initially rejected by those who love him the most, Nick encourages people to: "Embrace the positive attitudes, perspectives, principles and truths I share, and you too will overcome" ("About Nick: His Story"). And if a man without arms and legs can live a life without limits, anyone can choose to do the same.

"About Nick: His Story." Attitude is Altitude. AIA, 2013. Web. 17 Mar. 2014. .

"Motivational Speaker Nick Vujicic Waited Until Marriage." Waiting Till Marriage.org. WTM.org, n.d. Web. 22 Mar. 2014. .

"Nick Vujicic." Contemporary Authors Online. Detroit: Gale, 2013. Biography in Context. Web.

17 Mar. 2014.

Vujicic, Nicholas James. Life Without Limits: Inspiration for a Ridiculously Good Life. New York: Waterbrook Press, 2010. Print.

Life Without Limbs - Nick's organization.
Attitude is Altitude - The company that Nick founded.
Nick's YouTube Channel - Watch his videos here.