Norm Flynn

by Brayden from Anmore, B.C., Canada

My hero is Norm Flynn. Norm Flynn grew up in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. As a child, Norm lived in a tough neighbourhood and got into a lot of fights. He discovered hockey and this turned his life around and helped him succeed. He became very passionate about the game and played 4 years in the WHL before moving on to university. His passion for hockey never faded and he knew he could help many youths who grew up like him find something to give them hope.

Norm Flynn has an organization called H.E.R.O.S. (Hockey Education Reaching Out Society). This organization is aimed at reaching out to kids with traumas. H.E.R.O.S. provides equipment and mentorship for many kids across Canada. It offers an opportunity for kids to play the game of hockey who wouldn't otherwise get a chance to play our national sport. They get to be in a safe and fun environment surrounded by friends and mentors--it's just like a family. Norm believes that children are the true heroes. He is my hero because he makes kids feel appreciated and proud of themselves.

On January 8, I met Norm and the H.E.R.O.S. Norm wanted me to go to GM Place and skate on the Vancouver Canucks ice and go in their dressing room, so my mom drove me to where they do the H.E.R.O.S. program. When I was there I got dressed in my hockey gear and had pizza. Then we went to GM Place and we put on our skates. We sat on the Canucks bench and then Norm counted to 3...and we went on the ice. When we were on the ice we were right under the jumbotron and it was huge!

After we were done skating, I asked Norm if I could interview him and he said yes. When I asked him "who is your hero?" he said, "The 158 kids that come to the H.E.R.O.S. programs are my heroes." I think that was very touching. It shows that he is very kind. During the interview, the Canucks TV guy came and started to interview the last half of me interviewing Norm Flynn. When I was done interviewing Norm, the Canucks TV guy asked me some questions. After he interviewed me he asked other kids in the H.E.R.O.S. program if he could interview them.

Norm Flynn is a very kind person to start a program for kids. He is a motivational person who wants kids not to get in trouble on the street so he started a hockey H.E.R.O.S. program for them. Now that I have met Norm Flynn I want to volunteer for the H.E.R.O.S. program when I am old enough. I can help instruct or be a linesman. Hopefully one day I will bring the program to Port Moody and I can run it and get volunteers. Then I can invite Norm Flynn to come and see one of our practices! Maybe one day I will be a hero to another little kid!

H.E.R.O.S. - is a non profit organization committed to empowering children through ice hockey. Their premise is to use the game of hockey as a catalyst to attract youth to a program offering support for education, self-esteem building and life skills training.