Ningizimu School

The A4 Project of the Ningizimu School is a web-based exploration of the art of living with AIDS.

The project was awarded a prize by Thinkquest, in November, 1999.

In 2001, students from The Ningizimu School for the Severely Mentally Handicapped created a wonderful gift for New York City. The students worked for nine months creating the sculpture as a gift to students and residents of New York City following the tragedy of Sept 11.

Please visit their web site and think of ways your school can help them reach their goal of providing more technology to their students.

A variety of skills are taught to the children to equip them for the job market, including Woodworking, Pottery, Art, Home Economics, English Communication, and Social and Literacy Skills. The teaching of these skills is extremely difficult because funds are not readily available for basic equipment.

The school supplies transportation for the children and breakfast and lunch. Often these are the only meals that the children have during the day, as many of them come from homes in squatter camps.

The school is subsidized by the Dept.of Education, but relies on the kindness of donors and the assistance of companies and individuals to provide students with opportunities in the job market, so they can be productive members of society.

Each year Ningizimu School, as part of its A4 Project, creates a number of commissioned banners using beads and fabric for various individuals and organizations. The first of these banners is complete. We have pleasure in presenting the completed banner produced for the Artists for Human Rights Trust.

ThinkQuest - is all about students thinking and learning together.

The Ningizimu School for the Severly Mentally Handicapped Create a Wonderful Gift for New York City.

From the The Lady Statue of Liberty The Unveiling Ceremony July 18th 2002. New York City Department of Education.