Oskar Schindler

by Jacklyn from San Diego

Oskar Schindler (1908-1974) ((http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Schindler) ())

Due to the horror of the Holocaust  anywhere from five to  six million Jewish lives were lost. Among the scarce survivors were over one thousand Jews that lived due to the protection of Oskar Schindler. Schindler was born into a Catholic family of high social stature. However, with this  excess of money and privilege Schindler was blessed, or cursed, with everything he could possibly want. "He was born Catholic, but from an early age he inhabited a world of sin." ("Oskar Schindler" Jewish). Schindler's actions early on in his own life could not have possibly foreshadowed the incredible impact he would have on others. Schindler's a hero and symbol of change due to his profound ability to soften his heart and act with humanity.

Schindler's list of Names ( (http://alinefromlinda.blogspot.com/2014/01/january-20.html))

Schindler shattered the idea that a person is who they are always going to be when he transformed  from a corrupt businessman into a true hero. Schindler didn't live his life before the Holocaust as most would expect someone who achieved such greatness to live. "Oskar Schindler was the unlikeliest of heroes - indifferent to religion and politics, partial to gambling and drinking, and not averse to skirting the law in his many business ventures. Yet to the eleven hundred Jews whose lives he saved during World War II, he was nothing less than a hero."(Oskar Schindler."Encyclopedia). Schindler's poor decisions earlier in his life had no influence on his ability to act with heroism and courage. As the world Schindler was in seemed to be filled with a surplus of evil, Schindler was able to rise above his own reputation. Schindler did not begin his role in World War II as a hero. In fact  he saw what Hitler was doing as a business opportunity, but as the situation became more severe Schindler knew he needed to take a stance. "It is impossible to pinpoint the exact moment when Schindler ceased to be merely an exploiter of cheap labor to become a rescuer of those condemned to certain death. "("Oskar Schindler"(1908-1974). Even though Schindler's intentions were originally  far from pure; his actions proved that his change at heart was present and powerful. Schindler was able to change and do what was right because deep down he was a good person. Regardless of Schindler's mistakes, the good of his heart out weighed that bad of his mistakes. Oskar Schindler was able to overcome his past, and be the reason that many were able to have a future.

Oskar Schindler's extraordinary change within  his heart enabled him  to act with humanity rather than cruelty. When the work camp that Schindler ran within  Plaszow was going to be turned to a death camp Schindler had to make what would be the hardest decision of his entire life.This was the point at which Schindler's famous list came into play. "Schindler was now faced with the task of choosing those he wanted to save - literally a matter of life and death. Schindler came up with a list containing some eleven hundred names, including all the employees of Emalia Camp and a number of others as well."(Oskar Schindler."Encyclopedia). Schindler found himself in a decision most people cannot even dream of. He was responsible for answering the age long question of who decides on who deserves a miracle. Schindler very easily could have given up like a  coward and relieved himself of the huge responsibility that was now his. However, Schindler was able to act selflessly and view his employees as the honest, kind people they were.  " I knew the people that worked for me. When you know people you have it behave towards them like human beings." Schindler saw the brutality of the Nazi party and knew that the Jews that worked for him were people deserving of love and compassion. He saw through the idea that Jews were nothing more than and a threat to society. Regardless of the dangers of sheltering them and lying to the other Nazis, Schindler knew that the only way to live with honor was to do what was right. Among the atrocity of the world he lived in, Schindler was able to act with kindness and humanity.  "I just couldn't stand by and watch people be destroyed. I did what my conscience told me I must do. "("Oskar Schindler."People.) To Schindler there was no question of whether or not her would save the lives of the people he was supposed to hate but had grown to love. Schindler's actions towards the Jews set a beautiful example and prove that acting with  humanity can result in seemingly impossible triumph.

Oskar Schindler rose above his mistakes and acted with humanity. Above his courage and strength Schindler accomplished an often impossible feat; he changed. By allowing himself to act with humanity and be guided by good, he not only saved others but he saved himself. Schindler's humanity and ability to change make him not only a hero but a true inspiration. The personal change that Schindler made set a precedent for change in human kind. If the world can look to Oskar Schindler as an example, a hidden hero within all of us may be found.

Oskar Schindler:An Unlikely Hero - Oskar Schindler is the most unlikely of heros.
Oskar Schindler:The Man and the Hero - Essays about Schindler and his bravery.