Paul 'Bono' Hewson

by Leanne from San Diego

Bono in Africa (cslewisreview.org)
Bono in Africa (cslewisreview.org)

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.” –Dwight D. Eisenhower . Eisenhower’s words portray the evil of war, and its painful results. U2’s front man Bono experienced this at a young age. Bono was born Paul David Hewson on May 10th, 1960 in Dublin, Ireland to a Protestant mother and Catholic father. At the time in Northern Ireland, there was a constant rage of conflict between the Protestant political party and the strong Catholic community. All through childhood, he was continually exposed to the adversities of the conflict, “A severe security clampdown and the use of the police to break up demonstrations worsened already precarious relations between the Catholic community and the Protestant dominated policing structures. In August 1969, as the violence and rioting escalated, and the police had obviously lost control of the security situation, the British Army was dispatched by London to play a peacekeeping role.” (McConnachie, McEvoy) Starting at young age, Hewson was continually subjected to the violence and hate around him. But he fought his way out of the wreckage, using music as an outlet, and became the lead man of the legendary band U2. In turn, he has started campaigns and organizations designed to help support people stuck in the vicious cycle of war, conflict and poverty. Away from the bright lights and fame U2 has given him, Bono earns the title of hero by overcoming the adversity of organized religion and war he faced as a child. From it, he has become an inspiration to all; defined by his relentless humanitarian efforts and strong inspiring activism.

Bono was repeatedly confronted with images of the violence and hate in Northern Ireland all throughout his adolescence. In music, he found a way to overcome all the cruelties of the conflict. Eventually it would be music along with his remarkable perseverance and strength that would be his avenue out away from the conflict. In Northern Ireland, serious rioting continually occurred when Bono was just nine. The state police were called in, “using armored cars and water cannons…to end the rioting. What was to become known as the Battle of the Bogside lasted for two days, and rioting spread throughout the north…streets of houses were burned down by rioters and over thirty-five hundred families, mainly Catholics, were driven from their homes. Seven people were killed and one hundred wounded” (Brien). Growing up with scenes like this made Bono very prejudiced to any ideas of war or violence. He became incensed watching innocent bystanders being thrown into the conflict and killed for no apparent reason. As began to understand the roots of the conflict, it had become sickening to him to see these people pay an ultimate price for a disagreement that could have been settled peacefully. Bono portrays more of his feelings to listeners in the song

‘Sunday Bloody Sunday’, “Yes...I can't believe the news today/Oh, I can't close my eyes /And make it go away/How long.../How long must we sing this song/How long, how long.../'cause tonight...we can be as one/Tonight.../Broken bottles under children's feet/Bodies strewn across the dead end street/But I won't heed the battle call/It puts my back up/Puts my back up against the wall/Sunday, Bloody Sunday/Sunday, Bloody Sunday/Sunday, Bloody Sunday/And the battle's just begun/There's many lost, but tell me who has won/The trench is dug within our hearts/And mothers, children, brothers, sisters /Torn apart/Sunday, Bloody Sunday/Sunday, Bloody Sunday.” (“Sunday Bloody Sunday Lyrics.”)
Throughout the song, Bono questions the true meaning of the conflict and tells of enormous path of destruction it has left behind. It has destroyed more than just buildings; it has ripped open the hearts of all the Irish people, and left them to bleed out. The pain and violence have left children, like him, permanently scared and fearful of the world around them. When he calls out for unity, he pleads for a final sense of peace to the disagreement that has presumed longer than it ever needed to. Ultimately, Bono’s childhood is what shaped and completed him into the man he is today. His childhood has tested his strength and perseverance, turning him into a more insightful person with a deeper understanding of the world around him.

Hewson’s selflessness and moral strength have led him to become one of the world’s most incredible humanitarians and activists today, by continually giving back and fighting for those desperate in need. Bono’s youth was controlled by the all violence that surrounded him. Today, he reaches out to those trapped in the same position. For example, Bono has founded “both ONE and Red Campaigns” (“Board of Directors”). Founded in 2004, these campaigns are designed to help people in Africa with HIV/AIDS in war zones and poverty-stricken areas. In the past decade Bono has also won the “King Centre Humanitarian Award, (in) 2003…He also traveled to Rome to meet with Pope John Paul II regarding ways to ease the financial strain of poor nations and has appeared before the U.S. Congress and legislative bodies in Europe. In 2002 he established the nonprofit advocacy group Debt, Aid, Trade for Africa (DATA), in a continuing effort to aid the world's most impoverished and threatened populations” (“Bono.”). Bono is not like other celebrities, enthralled with the diamonds, fast cars, big houses, and women. Or like other celebrities that give money to an organization, just so they will receive more fan-fare. He has taken it a step further, by creating his own campaigns and organizations and bringing attention to those in need. This is a testament to his selflessness, proving how he would rather spend his money and time on someone in dire need then on himself and lavish parties. He continually meets with world leaders and makes visits to third-world countries, talking with them about supporting his cause and reaching out to these people. This shows how Bono genuinely cares for those in need, and is willing to fight for them. This also reveals his strong morals, by standing up for is right. For instance, during one of U2’s shows during the middle of a song Bono, “…cries out against the evils of capitalism. He then chides America for hoarding its wealth and ignoring the AIDS crisis in Africa” (Seales). Instead of using all his fame and recognition for money, Bono uses his fame to grab the attention of listeners and support those people in need. He will always make a stand to for what he believes in, and because of his strong and unwavering morals he will not be afraid to do it. It is apparent that Bono is a believer in ‘doing’ rather than just ‘saying’ by his continual strife to make a difference in helping others. In all, Hewson is more than what he may seem to be as, ‘just a rock star’ who is always wearing sunglasses. He is a man defined by his selflessness and strong morals that has lead him to do what no one else before him has been able to do; successfully straddling both the music industry and political worlds, while completely transforming both of them.

Bono with African children (gaijinseb.blogspot.com)

As the violence presumes in Northern Ireland, and HIV/AIDS epidemic controls Africa a hero, Bono, continues to stay strong and fight. By overcoming relentless conflict, he became more than just a boy from Ireland. He has transformed himself into a symbol of perseverance, strength, selflessness and an inspiration. By rising above violence and hate, but reaching out and saving those still under its reign. This is what sets him apart from any other rock star and what defines him as a true hero. He has changed the world around him by creating organizations that save lives, and transforming people with the power and ideal of is music. His words are a reminder of the goodness of life, the ugliness of hate and the power of love. They have taken back millions, calling out to stand together, “one love/one blood/one life/you got to do what you should.” (One Lyrics) and fight for what is right.