Patrick Roy

by Liam from Toronto

"I can't hear what Jeremy says because my ears are blocked with my 2 Stanley Cup rings."
Patrick in his butterfly (http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0905/this.day.sports.history.may28/images/patrick-roy.jpg)

Patrick Roy is a great goalie to everyone but to me he is an exceptional goalie and a hero. He redefined the play of all goalies in the NHL by inventing The Butterfly Style which we see most goalies in the NHL use today. Patrick drastically changed the game of hockey to what it is today and made all goalies fall in love with his play.

The Montreal Canadiens drafted Patrick in the third round, 54th overall in 1984. However, he did not like this because he did not like the rivalry with the Quebec Nordiques. Patrick did not make his NHL debut till 1985 when he replaced the Canadians starting goalie halfway through the game. He then became starting goalie for the playoffs in 1986 where he first became very popular, leading Montreal to a Stanley Cup victory.

Patrick Roy has accomplished many things in his career including multiple Stanley Cups. He won two cups with the Montreal Canadiens in 1986 and 1993. He also won two with the Colorado Avalanche in 1996 and 2001. After four years playing in the NHL Patrick won the Vezina Trophy in 1989 and then again in 1990 and once again in 1992. The Vezina Trophy is for the goalie that played the best throughout the NHL regular season and playoffs. He was also elected to play in the 1988 NHL All-Star Game. This was a huge honor for Patrick because he had only played in the NHL for a few years compared to other goalies that have been there longer than him. In the 1990s Patrick went to the All Star Game four years in a row, something most goalies could not complete. Patrick also had the honor to have his jersey retired for both teams he played with.

Patrick Roy originally grew up in Quebec City with his parents Michel and Barbara. He was born on October 5, 1965. He started to play hockey when he was six years old. Patrick did not start to play in net but when he was playing hockey with his friends the goalie was injured and Patrick went in as goalie and never left the blue ice. At seven years old he strapped pillows to his legs with belts and pretended to be a goalie in front of the T.V. Today Patrick is 40 years old and his very much involved in hockey life. He is the co-owner, general manager and the head coach of the Quebec Ramparts. Patrick has the opportunity to coach his sons while the play on the Quebec Ramparts for him. His son Jonathon is the backup goalie and his other son Frederick is a centre for the Ramparts. He also has a daughter who is only 15.

Patrick Roy is a hero to many people, especially me. I remember watching him play in the Stanley Cup Finals and imagining how much fun it would be to play goalie. I would idolize him in road hockey with my friends and copy all of his moves. From the crazy glove saves to the amazing toe saves. Patrick is important to me because of how he changed the position of a goalie. He redefined how goalies would play today. Patrick invented the style of the butterfly, where he would drop to both of his knees to stop the puck this is how many other goalies play today, myself included. Patrick made a huge difference in my life by changing what position I play in hockey. I started out as a defenseman but could not stop thinking about playing in net. After watching Patrick and learning more about goalies I switched to the position of the goalie. I still play it today and enjoy it very much and would not consider going back to a defenseman today.

Wikipedia - For more about Patrick Roy
Hockey Fans - Patrick Roy Bio
Hockey Goalies - "Saint" Patrick Roy
The MY HERO Project - For the Gallery Page dedicated to Patrick Roy, also created by Liam.