My Parents

by Jonathan from Calgary

My dad (my own)
My dad (my own)

I have chosen my parents, Cheryl and Ken Robinson, as my heroes. My mom was born in Taber, Alberta. Until my mom was 5 years old, her family traveled around Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia and Manitoba because of her dad’s job. They eventually stayed in Lethbridge where her dad started his own business. She has one younger brother. Her mom was a stay-home mom. My mom’s favourite school subject was math. She wanted to be an accountant when she grew up. My dad was born in Calgary, Alberta. He grew up there, too. He has one older sister and two older brothers. His mom had a part-time job at a department store and his dad worked as a heavy equipment operator. My dad’s favourite school subject was science. He wanted to be a mechanic when he grew up.

I admire my mom because she is always there for me. She is smart, caring, supportive, modest, courageous and trustworthy. She values honesty and family. She has made career choices that allow her to spend more time with her family. Time management is the hardest thing for her to do. My mom has a strong work ethic. She took Bachelor of Management (in accounting) at the University of Lethbridge, but when she actually tried the job she didn’t like it. I’ve learned from my mom that you should work hard to be able to get what you want, be kind to people and treat others the way you want to be treated. My mom has no enemies so I learned to treat people the way I wanted to be treated. My mom teaches me several things and I think she is a good teacher. She is a Christian and follows rules well which makes her a good person. To me a hero is a person who cares, is kind, supportive, responsible, modest and courageous. I think my mom is a hero. My mom now lives with us in Springbank, near Calgary. She is a school bus driver for Southland Transportation and is hoping to go to university soon and get a better job.

My mom (my own)
My mom (my own)

I admire my dad because he is also always there for me. He is modest, courageous, supportive, trustworthy, smart and caring. My dad values honesty, family, children, cooperation, responsibility, learning, positive attitude and respect. Patience is the hardest thing for him to do. My dad can cooperate with just about anyone. He has made a couple of mistakes. I’ve learned that you should be proud of what you do, always be willing to help others and how you treat your children is how they will treat others. My dad has no enemies. I have learned lots of things from my dad. He believes that people should treat other people the way they want to be treated and to believe in the best of people. I think that a hero is someone that is caring, responsible, supportive, kind, modest and courageous. I think my dad is a hero. My dad now lives with us in Springbank, near Calgary. He works at ATCO Gas.

In grade 12 my mom was chosen to represent southern Alberta in Ottawa at a weeklong forum on parliament. She also represented the University of Lethbridge in 1989 at a case writing competition in Calgary. My dad has received 18 suggestion awards from his company.

My parents' wedding (my parents)
My parents' wedding (my parents)

My mom and dad are my heroes because they’re kind, positive, responsible, supportive, modest, caring, courageous and respectful. I am learning from them to always try to be the best person I can be. I know that they accept me for who I am and will support me in whatever I do in my life.

ATCO Gas - where my dad works
Southland Transportation - where my mom works
skiing - what we like to do as a family