Rosa Parks

by Lindsey from USA

Rosa Parks once said, “The only tired I was, was tired of giving up.” A hero is someone who’s brave, strong, willing and never gives up. My hero is Rosa Parks because she has all of these traits. Rosa Parks was born on February 14, 1913. She was born in Alabama at a time when segregation was present in the United States.

Rosa Parks is remembered as the woman who refused to give up her seat on a bus to a white man as she was supposed to do. She stood up for her rights. She was arrested for believing she had the same rights as white people. She was one of two women who were activists in the National Association of Colored People (NAACP). The NAACP boycotted the bus company along with Rosa. The boycott lasted for 382 days. On December 21, 1956 all the boycotters returned to the buses.

On November 13, 1956 segregation was declared unconstitutional. The United States government put a stop to segregation once and for all. In 1963 Rosa Parks attended the Civil Rights March in Washington D.C. In 1965 Rosa Parks participated in Selma-to- Montgomery March, and began working for Congressman John Conyers in Detroit.

Rosa Parks was determined, an inspiration to everyone, tolerant and a role model. She made a difference in my life because even though she was scared to not give up her seat she took the risk for what she believed in. She demanded equality and was ready to stand up for herself. This inspires me because now I know that you should always stand up for what you believe in no matter what the cost may be. Rosa Parks was a brave and loyal person. She did what she had to. If she hadn’t refused to give up her seat, there might still be segregation today. Today nobody can tell anyone where to sit or what they can or cannot do. People have the will of choice. None of this would be possible if it wasn’t for Rosa Parks and other African Americans.