Shimon Peres

by Rebecca from Montreal

Shimon Peres was born in August 1923 in Poland. He moved to Tel Aviv with his family in 1934. He is married to Sonya and has a daughter, Zikki and two sons, Yoni and Hemi.

Shimon was elected Secretary of the Labor youth movement in 1943. In 1947 Shimon joined the Haganah Defense Forces and he was assigned responsibility for manpower and arms purchases but this position ended during the early part of the Israel’s war of independence. A year later he was appointed head of Israel’s navy. In 1953 he was appointed Director General of the Defense Ministry until 1959. He also was elected the same year a member of parliament and he is still a member. The same year he served as Deputy Defense Minister until 1965. Shimon was also an Immigration Absorption Minister, a Minister of Transportation and Communications and Information Minister. Shimon was elected Vice President of the Socialist International. In 1984 he was Prime Minister and between 1986 and 1988 he was Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister. In 1992 Shimon was appointed Foreign Minister. In 1994 he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. In 1995 he was appointed Prime Minister and in 1995 he was appointed Prime Minister and Defense Minister. He served in these two posts until the May 1996 elections. From 1996 to 1999 he was a member of the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee and Minister of Regional Cooperation from1999 until 2001. In 2001 he was appointed Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Prime Minister. In 2007 he was elected President of the State of Israel.

On top of all these accomplishments he has written eleven books.

I don’t know about you but I don’t know and have never heard of anyone doing so much for his country and his people. I think he is a patriot and has a huge heart. Shimon Peres followed his dreams and is a wonderful role model and hero to many people worldwide. What he did affected me in a permanent positive way.

My family also has a connection to him since my sister got to meet him.

Shimon Peres - Nobel Peace Prize 1994