Pocahontas

by Maria from Des Plaines, Illinois

Pocahontas Young Native American (library.thinkquest.org)

Do you know who Pocahontas is? No one is sure when she was born, but people said that she was born in the year of 1595. Pocahontas was a Native American "Princess." Her name meant "Playful one." Pocahontas was the daughter of Powhatan. Powhatan was a American chief in the area know as Virginia. Later, Pocahontas met the colonist of Jamestown in 1607.

John Smith was a great adventurer. John Smith was captured by the people of Pocahontas. Later, Pocahontas told her dad to not kill him. It was known that John Smith was let go, and Pocahontas and John Smith became friends. Pocahontas learned to paint on deer skin to make pictures with seashells and porcupine quills. One night her mother gave her a leather pouch that she had made. Her mother told that it was for her most precious things. In it was her headband.

It's a cartoon picture of Pocahontas. (www.cel-ebration.com)

She married an English man and then the ship sailed back to Jamestown. Captain Argall, captain of England told chief Powhatan that Pocahontas had to make friends with the white people. Powhatan didn't do anything. Pocahontas was sent to a minister. They taught her about God and other things. Pocahontas met women in the church. The women taught Pocahontas how to dress like an English lady. Pocahontas told Captain Argall that her new name was Rebecca and that she wanted to be a Christian. Captain Argall accepted her.

Pocahontas was sick. She knew she was going to die, but she was brave. Pocahontas died in 1617. She was buried in the church of Gravesend, England. People still visit her grave. People will never forget the brave girl she was. Pocahontas only wanted the English people to be friends with the Indians.

Pocahontas inspires me because she is very brave, and a tough girl. She also inspires me because she was a Native American and I like stories about Native Americans. All she wanted was for her people to be friends with the English people. That's why Pocahontas inspires me.