Stanislav Pozdnyakov

by Katya from Novosibirsk, Russia

Olympics Hero from Russia

Stanislav Pozdnyakov is a Russian sportsman. He took part in many international tournaments and won a lot of awards for Russia.

Stanislav is an Honoured Master of Sports, four-time Olympic champion, six-time World and European champion. In addition, he is also a five-time World Cup winner in sabre fencing.

Pozdnyakov lives and trains in Novosibirsk. At the moment he is finishing his post-graduate studies at the Pedagogical University. As a child, Pozdnyakov was into many kinds of sport - he was successful in navigation, football and fencing. But his dream was to become a fencer. After two years of training in fencing, Boris Leonidovich Pisetsky, a trainer, paid attention to this boy and began to give him individual lessons. He studied perfectly well but, strangely enough, had mark 4 on physical education. It is surprising that he received a title of the Master of sports when he was in the 9th grade.

After school Stanislav entered Novosibirsk Technical University. At the same time he had to spend a lot of time training. He worked hard and managed to win a gold medal in the Olympic Games in Barcelona. Unfortunately he didn’t have enough time to study. That's why Stanislav left the University. But later in 1997 he began studying at Novosibirsk Pedagogical University. By that time he had already taken part in the Olympic Games in Atlanta and became a three-time Olympic champion.

I decided to tell you about our fellow countryman, Stanislav Pozdnyakov, because he has brought much glory to our native land. He wanted to be the best and has done it. I admire his persistence in sports and everyday life. I also live in Novosibirsk and in the future, I'd like to be as useful for my country and my city as Stanislav Pozdnyakov.

Peoples - Interviews with Pozdnyakov