Ruby Bridges

by Mackenzie from Ilion

Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. To me, a hero is someone who is brave and who has lots of courage. Ruby Bridges is a hero to me for several reasons.

Chaz Monet as Ruby Bridges
Chaz Monet as Ruby Bridges

Ruby Bridges was born on September 8, 1954 in Tylertown, Mississippi. She was her parents first baby. Ruby weighed 7 pounds. When Ruby was in kindergarten she went to Johnson Lockett School. Ruby then attended William Frantz Public School. When she was in 7th grade her parents separated. 

Ruby Bridges did many important things throughout history. One thing she did was she started a Ruby Bridges Foundation.  Another thing she did was she became a full-time parent and traveled all over the world. Most importantly, she was the first African American to go to an all white school during segregation.

After segregation ended she continued to make a big difference. When Ruby went to an all white school she proved that one small person can make a big difference. Also because she didn't let people affect her on the first day of school.   People were being racist, spitting at her, and throwing things at Ruby and she kept on coming to school.

In conclusion, Ruby Bridges is a very courageous woman. If Ruby didn't go to an all white school during segregation our schools might still be separated from blacks today. Ruby is a hero for doing so many important things in history.