Ruby Bridges

by Shannon from Roxboro

I now know that experience comes to us for a purpose, and if we follow the guidance of the spirit within us, we will probably find that the purpose is a good one.

‘White Only’, ‘Go Home’. These are words that white people told my hero when she was only six years old!!!!! November 14 was the day my hero went to William Frantz Public School. My hero is Ruby Bridges. Ruby was born in 1954 in Mississippi.

Mrs. Bridges is my hero because she ended segregation and racism at the age of six. Ruby was brave from all the whites standing outside of her school and saying bad words and spitting at her while she was walking to her school and holding her head up proudly. She also prayed for the people because she wanted God to forgive them for their actions.

The other reason why Ruby is my hero is because she also has a foundation for all children. In 1995 she had created Ruby Bridges Public School Foundation. The school is for all different colored kids. It helps with their education. And it also helps to stop the racism against kids. She has a book and movie about her life that started her process.

Mrs. Ruby Bridges is very brave. In her story she never gave up. She prayed all the time for her to get through her problems. She was brave to go to her school without being afraid of somebody. History is changed now by being brave and never giving up.

So what Ruby Bridges is a hero but she is my hero. If she hadn’t gone to that school and helped end segregation I would not be in this classroom. I hope one day I can meet her and hear her story. There are so many words to describe Ruby Bridges.

ruby bridges - The story and pictures
african a online - Biography and interview