Rosa Parks

by Abby from Regina

Rosa Parks Smiling (http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/photocredit/achievers/par0-018 ())

She changed the lives for so many people; her name was Rosa Louise McCauley Parks. She made one risky decision, which started a movement that ended legal segregation. She had the guts to take a stand. She inspired a generation to fight for civil rights. She, Rosa Louise McCauley Parks is my hero!

Rosa was born on February 4, 1913, in Tuskegee, Alabama. Her parents were James and Leona McCauley, who soon divorced. After this happened Rosa along with her mother and brother moved to their grandparent's farm. As a young child Rosa was very small because she was sick most of the time. In these years she was home schooled by her mother, because she was a teacher. Once she turned eleven Rosa started to attend a public school called Industrial School for Girls in Montgomery. She took various academic courses and then for her secondary education she enrolled in laboratory school, but had to drop out to help care for her ill grandmother. Later In the year of 1932 Rosa married a man named Raymond Parks. He was a social activist and a barber. Raymond supported and encouraged Rosa to finish school, and that's exactly what she did. In 1934 Rosa graduated from high school. Rosa and Raymond joined as a team, and worked in the Montgomery chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). At the time Rosa was also working as a seamstress.

Rosa Parks Being Arrested ( http://www.rosaparksfacts.com/rosa-parks-pictures-photos.php?type=civil-rights)

On December 1, 1955 Rosa boarded one of the Montgomery City buses to go home from a hard day of work. Rosa sat just behind the ten seats reserved for white people. The bus became full and then a white man boarded the City bus. The bus driver followed the standard procedure and told Rosa to give up her seat for this white man. She quietly refused to give up her seat. Rosa didn't plan on doing this but being a member of the NAACP and her strong belief in justice most likely influenced her. She was then arrested for violating the Montgomery segregation laws. Rosa had said "I did not want to be mistreated; I did not want to be deprived of a seat that I had paid for. It was just time.there was opportunity for me to take a stand to express the way I felt about being treated in that manner. I had not planned to get arrested. I had plenty to do without having to end up in jail. But when I had to face that decision, I didn't hesitate to do so because I felt that we had endured that too long. The more we gave in, the more we complied with that kind of treatment, the more oppressive it became." (Quote from a 1992 interview with National Public Radio's Lynn Neary). Her simple act sparked a huge movement in history and ignited a boycott. The boycott presented a huge economical threat because almost every African American stopped riding the buses, and they made up 75% of the passengers. This rebellion lead to the end of legal segregation. Rosa broke through the oppression which was being put upon their race. Later in the year of 2005 Rosa passed away at the age of 92. Throughout her life Rosa was awarded the Spingarn Medal, the Martin Luther King Jr. award, the Peace Abbey Courage of Conscience award, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, International Freedom Conductor Award, the Congressional Gold Medal, the Detroit-Windsor International Freedom Festival Freedom Award, the Governor's Medal of Honor for Extraordinary Courage and she had more than two dozen honorary doctorates from universities worldwide.

I believe that Rosa Parks was one of the most influential, courageous, smart women in history. This is one of the reasons why she is my hero. Rosa had the courage to stand up for her rights, and she knew there could be severe consequences. To me courage is one of the most admirable traits. She risked her life and her freedom for a change and ended up ending legal segregation! People always say it only takes one person to make a change, and she was that person. I find this so admirable and inspiring. Rosa was able to stand up to what wasn't right when there could be severe consequences for her auctions of rebellion. Then I tell myself that I can stand up to things like bulling or other things that aren't right, when I have no consequences. This has made me a better person because she has inspired me to do good, and made me realize that one person can make a difference and that one person could be me. She is important to me because of how much her auctions have influenced myself and others. Her story has influenced and inspired me to be a better person, and be the one to make a change. Her story needs to be kept alive, so it can continue to inspire people like me. I try to tell people her story of courage and rebellion, because it's an important part of history that needs to be remembered. Her story and her actions have taught me so much and she is an amazing woman in history!

Rosa McCauley Parks is my hero. She made one decision, she took a stand, she risked so much for so many, she sparked a fire, and she ended legal segregation. Rosa boarded a city bus and when it filled up she would not give up her seat for a white man. She later was arrested, and this started a boycott which ended legal segregation. This was a huge act in history which needs to be remembered. Rosa is important to me because of her importance in history and her act which changed so many lives. She has influenced me to take a stand for what is right. In conclusion Rosa Parks is my hero!