Rosa Parks

by Melissa from Horicon

Through my eyes and millions of others, Rosa Parks was a hero. She is now a legend due to her heroic ways and traits. Rosa Parks showed a great amount of heroic qualities of faith, strength, honor, power, determination, respect for herself and community, loyalty, leadership, knowledge and wisdom, and most importantly dignity. She built many more as the years went on. This is why Rosa Parks is my hero. As well as my inspiration.

My hero is Rosa Parks. She lived in Montgomery, Alabama with her husband in an apartment. Rosa Parks lived from February 4th 1913 to October 24th 2005. Rosa Parks made a tremendous difference. On December 1st 1955, Rosa Parks took the bus home. On the way home, white passengers filled the bus. Then a few white passengers were standing, which was not allowed on the Montgomery buses.

When the Bus driver noticed the standing passengers, he asked Rosa to move her seat, but then Rosa refused and did not move an inch from her chair. When the driver asked her again, she stood up for herself and said, “I don’t think I should have to stand up.” Then after that, Rosa was soon arrested. As time went on, the community made a pact to stay away from bus travel. So instead they took cabs, carpooled, or even walked! This transformation had many people realizing that they can take further action to create real change. A year later, in 1956, the city of Montgomery had no choice but to lift the law requiring segregation on public buses. This was one of the many positive changes.

My definition of a hero is someone who is positively indescribable. Someone who believes, someone who shows power, someone who shows determination, someone who has leadership, someone who does not back down, someone who shows courage and wisdom, and someone who goes beyond possibilities. My definition of a hero fully fits Rosa Parks. I personally cannot find just one simple sentence to describe her. It takes me many. Rosa believed. She believed in herself and in her community, but most of all, she put her beliefs into actions. Rosa showed so much emotional-womanly power, she did this by standing up for herself. She had the power to do something no one else would do. This is beautiful in a powerful way. Rosa had the gift of determination. When she lost her job due to the civil rights movement, then moved and then started a new life, a better life, and a new life that she made the best of. To me, that shows complete determination. Rosa was also very committed and determined to do multiple tasks like serving the board of Planned Parenthood and leaving school to take care of her sick grandmother. Rosa had complete leadership. She had so many followers, and she still does. Rosa did not back down, she stood for what she thought was right. One thing I think she showed the most would be courage. Rosa was not scared; she was confident, carrying herself in an assertive manor, not passive or aggressiveness. Rosa Parks showed wisdom. She was sick of giving in. Also, she never threatened or brought violence into the situation.

Rosa Parks was a true hero, and now a legend. She had so many heroic qualities and traits such as faith, strength, honor, power, determination, respect for herself, loyalty, leadership, knowledge, and most of all, and dignity. Qualities and traits that we carry with us today. Rosa will never be forgotten and who knew that one little refusal could turn into something beyond legendary. Rosa will never be forgotten…through my eyes, and millions of others.