Rosa Parks

by Mariam from San Diego

"I would like to be known as a person who is concerned about freedom and equality and justice and prosperity for all people." (Rosa Parks)
 (http://mygospeltoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/0 ())

"A hero is someone that has made the largest impact in a person's life and has influenced their life for the better." (Thomas Brown) Brown proves a good point. This is what many people look for in a true hero. Many think that celebrities with famous lives that donate a sum of money make them a hero. Rosa Parks proves them all wrong because what she did during that time, the whole entire world couldn't have done it all together. Who would have thought, an ordinary woman sitting on a bus waiting to go home to make dinner for her husband, would change our segregation laws forever. Parks was the first of two children born to James and Leona McCauley. Rosa Parks was born on February 4, 1913, in Tuskegee, Alabama. When her parents divorced, she moved to Montgomery where she had to deal with segregation and laws she did not agree with. Parks received her early education at a blacks-only school where classes were only held for five months a year so that students could work the fields. Rosa Parks was best known for her act of civil disobedience in December of 1955 when she refused to give up her seat on a bus to white man in Montgomery, Alabama. The definition of bravery is people who are ready to face and endure danger or pain. If you don't possess bravery, you cannot become a hero. Every hero faces bravery or courage at one point. Parks happened to have this moment on the bus when she was challenged by her conscience to get off the seat and give it to the white man or sit and face the consequences. A hero must also possess determination because without being determined at whatever you want to accomplish, you cannot do it fully.  Determination takes a lot of effort and that's what makes the person a hero; when they reach their goal and are determined to do even more. There are many definitions of determination but a common one happens to be when you accomplish or do something that you've always wanted to do and settling that "purpose". Rosa Parks shows endless determination when she never gave up until the "end", or where she had died. This is a very strong thing Parks had done by committing her life to end discrimination amongst blacks and whites all together. Rosa Parks spoke the voice of many African Americans who felt the same way and took no action. Parks was sometimes known as the "Mother of the Civil rights Movements" because of her sense of bravery, her endless determination, and strong leadership towards others.

(http://cdn.all-that-is-interesting.com/wordpress/w ())

Rosa Parks' bravery towards others has proven how good of a person she really is. Rosa Parks has influenced many northerners and a variety of lawmakers to look squarely at the discrimination victimizing Alabama's black people, and work to correct injustice. When Rosa Parks stepped on those stairs leading her to the inside of the bus, she didn't know what was going to happen in those next few minutes. All Rosa Parks had in mind was what food she was going to prepare for her hungry husband when he came from work. "Parks took a seat in the middle section open to blacks as long as whites had available seats in their section. When Parks sat down, she noticed several empty spaces in the whites-only section... After a third stop, a white man was standing without a seat..... The driver James F. Blake stopped the bus, approached the four black passengers, and asked that they move. Parks refused. Blake called the police, who came and arrested Parks." Rosa Parks was an inspiration to people because she stood up for herself. Even though she went to jail because of that, she proves to other people that she will not change her ways of living.Rosa Parks committed an honorable act in the bus, for she knew she would be arrested for it. Parks decided she couldn't tolerate discrimination and decided she wanted to put an end to it by showing her bravery. Rosa Parks bravery and courage to stand up for rights as a citizen of the United States inspires others to this day to stand up for the ideals of freedom and justice for all of us. "Two policemen got on the bus in a couple of minutes. The driver told the police that I would not stand up. The policeman walked down and asked me why I didn't stand up, and I said I didn't think I should stand up." (Rosa Parks) This quote shows how sick and tired Parks was of giving in all the time. She thought for herself that day, and didn't care what the consequences were. Rosa Parks just couldn't take it anymore and stood with the two policemen and beckoned them to take her as they escorted out of the scene. Even though Rosa Parks was a very brave woman, she also had endless determination to fight for her and Africans American's beliefs. 

Rosa Parks was determined to put an end to discrimination that she didn't care if it would take even all her life to accomplish it. Parks's sense of determination led us to who we are today. "'I was very determined to let it be known how it felt to be treated in that manner -- discriminated against.'" Rosa felt very motivated to put a stop against discrimination and the people who were against it in a non violent way. She had had enough of how the "whites" were treating the "blacks". Rosa Parks wanted something to be done, and she did. Even though Rosa had been arrested, she still didn't think of a reason why she should have given it up. "'I did feel determined and even though I was for whatever that got me arrested, I still went on fighting for Americans rights.'" Parks wanted to use this as a great opportunity to let others know about what black people were going through. Rosa also demanded equality and was ready to argue otherwise. Rosa Parks might have been a determined leader, a courageous young woman, but she always stood up and will for other people.

(http://www.lt-smash.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/ ())

Rosa Parks spoke the voice of every single African American and also those who were against the segregation, but weren't black. She proved to those who wanted segregation that she can improve the country and possibly the world for the better and make it a discrimination- free society. "I would like to be remembered as a person who wanted to be free... so other people would be also free." (Rosa Park) Rosa Parks didn't want to be remembered as someone who risked their life or committed and honorable act, yet she wanted to be remembered as someone who wanted to be free and have rights of their own. I believe Parks is an inspiration to us all. Rosa Parks is my hero because she demonstrates various characteristics that apply to me as a person and make me look up to her as a role model. Parks inspires me to be who I am and to always stand up for what I believe in - no matter right or wrong. She also inspires me to face today's challenges and not go along with something I don't think is right. Parks challenges others and herself to never give up and take a stand. Even though she went to jail because of that, she proves to others that she will not change her ways of living. So let us do what Rosa Parks did. Let's stand up in what we believe in, and maybe, just maybe, build our country the way she would have wanted it if she was still alive, and preserve the legacy.

Badertscher, Eric. "Rosa Parks." Rosa Parks (2005): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 10 Apr. 2013.

Baggett, Tammy K. "Rosa Parks." Great Lives From History: African Americans (2010): 73. Biography Reference Center. Web. 10 Apr. 2013.

Denenberg, Dennis, and Lorraine Roscoe. "Rosa Parks." 50 American Heroes Every Kid Should Meet (2002): 80. Biography Reference Center. Web. 10 Apr. 2013.

King, Coretta Scott, and Mary Hull. "Rosa Parks." Rosa Parks (0-7910-1881-4) (2001): 8. Biography Reference Center. Web. 10 Apr. 2013.

Marks-Ellis, Annette, and Marks-Ellis Annette. "Rosa Parks." Great Lives From History: The Twentieth Century (2008): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 10 Apr. 2013.

"Rosa Parks." Rosa Parks (Biography Today) (2010): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 10 Apr. 2013.