Rosa Parks

by Tara from San Diego

Despite the segregation laws, African Americans always kept their sense of worth . This act was present in the Civil Rights Movement, but a special someone known as Rosa Parks is the one who inspired everyone to take that chance. It was an opportunity to achieve the equality between human beings, and everyone took that opportunity because of Parks. Rosa Parks was born on February 4, 1913 and died on October 24, 2005. For most of her childhood, she lived with her family in Alabama as they worked hard to provide her with what she needed. Her mother and grandparents worked hard to shield her from reality and racial segregation. In every way, Parks is a hero to those who have a heart and to those who believe in equality, a hero must be able to put their people's lives before their own. They must possess the courage to take action not only quickly but correctly. A hero is one who makes a change for the better, one who impacts a whole population. Rosa Parks fought for equal rights and was devoted to get what she wanted, and once she did, she made sure to spread that knowledge of hers to everyone else. Rosa Parks's courage to stand up for herself lead her to having a huge leadership role in the civil rights movement.

(https://www.transportation.gov/fastlane/60-years-a ())

Rosa Parks' courage is what she is honored for, standing up for not only herself but for others to have equal rights. Back in the winter of 1955, she did something that no one else dared to do, rebel against the segregation laws of Alabama, "Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a bus to a white man. Her action set off a full-scale, nationwide assault on Jim Crow segregation laws"("Rosa Parks"). The unnecessary and cruel rules towards black people at the time were outrageous, unfortunately, it was hard to disobey such rules since they were laws after all. That didn't stop Rosa Parks from fighting for her own and respecting herself. The recognition she has for herself in truly inspiring, her boldness and fearlessness to keep that trait is unreal, "On December 1, 1955, Parks, who had taken a seat directly behind the white section, was asked to yield her seat to white passengers. Parks recognized the driver as one who had evicted her from a bus 12 years before when she refused to re enter through the back door after paying her fare. The bus driver threatened to have her arrested but she remained where she was. He then stopped the bus, brought in some policemen, and had Parks taken to police headquarters"("Rosa Lee"). By refusing to give up her seat to a white man, Parks was someone who dared to defend herself and her people multiple times, and she wouldn't stop until she would get what she wanted. She had the audacity to stand up for herself a second time. She even risked her freedom by getting arrested just for her dignity. The courage it takes to risk big consequences is extreme. For one who is seen so low in society, it is a huge step to take to stand up for herself; setting that example for others. She was the like mother leading her children through the darkness.

(http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/01/living/rosa-parks-an ())

Refusing to give up her seat to a white man isn't the only thing Rosa Parks did, that's only what sparked her to do many of her accomplishments. Her leadership role became more and more present and well known, inspiring others to stand up for themselves as well. The boycott for example, something that would have been non existent if it weren't for the "Mother of the Civil Rights Movement". Not only did she lead to the boycott, she also led to a big step in the civil rights movement, "the Supreme Court banned segregation on public transportation, and the boycott ended over a year after it had begun. Rosa Parks became known as the "Mother of the Civil Rights Movement," honored with awards around the world"("Rosa Parks Was"). She became a huge leader for the civil rights movement and the actions that took place for that, like the boycott. If it weren't for her, equal rights for the blacks would have still been very difficult. She saved them, lead them and helped them because that's what heroes do. As for the boycott, she is the reason it happened. Everyone in the boycott carpooled, took a taxi and walked to get to places instead of taking the bus. Everyone took action and everyone was determined to get their freedom, Rosa Parks inspired all of these people. It led to an economic downfall which was the goal, but only to save humanity, not to harm it in any way. Fortunately, it worked, "Her arrest sparked a 381-day boycott of the Montgomery bus system. It also led to a 1956 Supreme Court decision banning segregation on public transportation"("Rosa Parks Was"). The boycott was an indirect form of leadership for Rosa Parks, she did not lead it but her actions did. This boycott had so much power that it banned the laws that got Parks arrested in the first place. She took things further by taking jobs with more supreme leadership roles. She even got awarded many times for that, "In 1988 she founded the Rosa and Raymond Parks Institute for Self-Development, to train African American youth for leadership roles, and began serving as the institute's president. In 1989 her accomplishments were honored at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. Parks was in demand as a public speaker and traveled extensively to discuss her role in the civil rights movement"("Rosa Lee"). Parks got rewarded  many times because of her bravery and leadership, fortunately, she made sure not to keep her leader skills to herself and spread her knowledge. As they say, "knowledge is power" and Parks intended that to make sure everyone had the power to make a change and to pass that on through generations. Even today, her leadership role inspires others to be like her. She made sure that no matter when and where, people should always have a say in their rights.

(https://www.loc.gov/collections/rosa-parks-papers/ ())

Lastly, as seen, refusing to give up her seat to a white man in a bus took lots of bravery and it triggered the whole population. She led to a boycott and worked for many companies as an influence and spread her guiding skills. She inspired not only her people, but everyone around her to be fair and gentle towards situations like these. Today, the government usually takes everyone's opinions into consideration, leading into a balanced environment. She had such a big impact on the world and never failed to amaze us, "Virtually no history of the modern Civil Rights Movement in the United States fails to mention the role of Rosa Parks"("Rosa Lee").

"Parks, Rosa (1913-2005)." Dictionary of Women Worldwide: 25,000 Women Through the Ages.

Ed. Anne Commire and Deborah Klezmer. Vol. 2. Detroit: Yorkin Publications, 2007.

1477. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 4 May 2016.

"Parks, Rosa." UXL Encyclopedia of U.S. History. Sonia Benson, Daniel E. Brannen, Jr., and

Rebecca Valentine. Vol. 6. Detroit: UXL, 2009. 1200-1202.Gale Virtual Reference

Library. Web. 29 Apr. 2016.

"Rosa Lee McCauley Parks." Encyclopedia of World Biography. 2nd ed. Vol. 12. Detroit: Gale,

2004. 115-116. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 4 May 2016.

"Rosa Parks Is Fingerprinted by Police." Human and Civil Rights: Essential Primary Sources.

Ed. Adrienne Wilmoth Lerner, Brenda Wilmoth Lerner, and K. Lee Lerner. Detroit: Gale,

2006. 330-333. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 4 May 2016."

"Rosa Parks Was Arrested for Civil Disobedience, December 1, 1955 - Jump Back in Time |

America's Library - Library of Congress." Rosa Parks Was Arrested for Civil

Disobedience, December 1, 1955 - Jump Back in Time | America's Library - Library of

Congress. Library of Congress, n.d. Web. 05 May 2016.

.