Rosa Parks

by Precious from San Diego

Rosa Parks was an extraordinary hero who never backed down from what she believed in. Many people would say that what Rosa did was wrong, but to others opinions what she did was iconic. She was a seamstress in Montgomery, Alabama. She refused to give up her bus seat to a white passenger. This was the law of the time. She was arrested and fined for violating a city ordinance, but her lone act of defiance began a movement that ended legal segregation in America. A hero must possess strength by having power, being an influence and having authority. Rosa Parks was not just a seamstress from Montgomery, but was a world changer by being strong, overcoming hardships, and influential.

Rosa Parks should be considered a hero for her strength to stand up for people's rights. The day of the boycott was challenging, but the days after were even more difficult. "While Parks' arrest and the subsequent case were of importance nationally and historically, the incident and its aftermath had a negative effect on her immediate life. She was dismissed from her job, received threats, and was hassled as were many who supported the bus boycott and the Civil Rights movement. Her health was also negatively affected, "(Rosa Parks Newsmakers). Mrs. Parks got threats and lost her job, but that didn't stop her from doing the right thing. Later on, she "received many honors for her life, including the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1996 and the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1999" ("Rosa Parks") . It takes one small act to change the world. She took take chances to help others in need. Being different is good, but can take amazing strength.

Rosa Parks is an inspiration to the history of African American culture and for standing up for what she believed in. Parks' choices made history worldwide and many people saw that and wanted to show her how thankful they were for her bravery and strength. "In 1998 Parks was recognized with the first International Freedom Conductor Award given by the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center. President Bill Clinton awarded Parks the Congressional Gold Medal, the nation's highest civilian honor, in July 1999. In December 2000, the 50,000-square-foot Rosa Parks Library and Museum, featuring a life-size bronze sculpture of Parks, opened in Montgomery." ("Rosa Parks." Newsmakers). She is so inspiring that she has gotten medals, awards, and even sculptures, for her bravery and standing up for what she believed to be unfair. When Rosa refused to give up her seat on a city bus she had the ability to inspire all Americans to face today's challenges and the work to make a better place. Rosa Parks has changed the way the nation views and treats African Americans. Her actions contributed to the beginning of the civil rights movement and therefore positive change in the lives of African Americans. "There are very few people who can say their actions and conduct changed the face of the nation, and Rosa Parks is one of those individuals...her imprisonment opened the doors for our long journey to freedom" ("Rosa Parks." Newsmakers). She is an inspiration because she was the only person to stand up to people when no one else had the nerve to. Mrs. Parks' legacy continues to be a positive influence to people worldwide proving how important it is to stand up for equality no matter what the consequences may be. Rosa Parks was one of the greatest women to live. She should be honored for what she did on that day of December 1955 when she had stood up for what she believed in and positively impacted the lives of African Americans all over the U.S.

The schools for white students and black students during the 1950's were extremely different and unequal: "Unlike the school for white children, the school Parks attended was little more than a shack there were no windows or desks and few books. When school was dismissed the children took the books they did have home to protect them in case the school was attacked by the Ku Klux Klan during the night. "(The education the students received was minimal, leaving most of them poorly qualified for anything but menial jobs. Finally, when Rosa was eleven, her mother had saved up enough money to send her to a private school in Montgomery.)" Parks didn't have the best schooling and had to take her books home just in case the school was attacked! As the education Rosa received was very poor she couldn't qualify for a good job. Rosa Parks is considered strong because no matter how hard she struggled as a child she didn't let that stop her from being a kind person. Rosa Parks went through many hardships in her life and Later made many tough decisions. She pushed through hard times. She never gave up and she knew she had to keep moving forward for equality for herself and the members of her community. Rosa Parks is idolized for her courage to stay seated when the driver told her to move. "Some call the act revolutionary, others a sham, but there was no doubt it effectively called national attention to the issue of civil rights like never before, Congress had been prompted to action by a wave of protests across the nation, but especially in the segregated South. Led by people like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., blacks were pushing for an end to centuries of discrimination. It was a time when seemingly minor actions could take on great significance--a black drinking from the "wrong" drinking fountain, voting in a local election, or, in the case of Rosa Parks, refusing to give up a bus seat after a hard day's work." ("Rosa Parks"). Some people admired what she did, while others looked negatively upon her actions. Congress encouraged a protest across the country. People Led by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. wanted to end all of the judgments of the African American race. She is a brave individual for standing up for what was right. She wanted change because she knew the things that were going on at that time were not right or fair.

Mrs. Parks is tough, resilient, and powerful. Every hero should have these traits. She endured unequal treatment throughout her whole life due to being African American during a time in which government and citizens didn't treat each race equally. She took it in her power to make a change by not giving up her seat on the bus to a white man, as was the norm of the time. Rosa did this even though she knew she would have to endure negative consequences. After her protest on the bus she continued to work toward racial equality with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Rosa challenged the laws of segregation. The case generated a 13-month boycott of the buses in Montgomery by African Americans. Parks was later recognized for the contributions she made in the civil rights movement. Rosa Parks inspires me because she showed me that it just takes one brave soul to start a movement onto the path of change for the better. Even when things were difficult she persevered and because of this, she helped to change the national view on race, which leads to everyone being treated equally. The strength Mrs. Parks exhibited allowed her to work toward her goal. Rosa said it best when she said, "I have learned over the years that when one's mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear" (Parks). If we all faced our fears like Rosa Parks and focused instead on bettering our world we would be amazed with everything we could accomplish.

Work Cited

"Academy of Achievement: Site Credits." Academy of Achievement: Site Credits. Ed. Hugh Esten Academy of Achievement. The Catherine Reynolds Foundation, 09 Apr. 2012. Web. 2 May 2013. Henry Ford. "Rosa Parks Bus - The Story Behind the Bus." The Story Behind the Bus. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 May 2013. Peter Millan. "Rosa Parks." Spartacus Educational. © Spartacus Educational Publishers Ltd, n.d. Web. 6 May 2013. "Rosa Parks." Contemporary Heroes and Heroines. Vol. 1. Detroit: Gale, 1990. Biography In Context. Web. 7 May 2013. "Rosa Parks." American Decades. Ed. Judith S. Baughman, et al. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography In Context. Web. 7 May 2013. "Rosa Parks." History.com. A&E Television Networks, n.d. Web. 6 May 2013. "Rosa Parks." Newsmakers. Detroit: Gale, 2007. Biography In Context. Web. 7 May 2013.

Academy of Achievement - Museum of Living History Data
Biography.com - Overview of Rosa's Life