Rosa Parks

by Taylor from Kent

Imagine having someone walk up to you and demand you give up your seat, just based on the color of your skin? Believe it or not this is how things worked several decades ago, until someone finally stood up and fought to make the difference. As a civil rights activist, Rosa Parks has been a major upstander and has had a big impact on racial differences, which has changed the world for the better.

Rosa Parks stood up for what she believed in, and what she knew was the right thing. She once said, “I don’t think I should have to stand up.” (After being forced to move to the back of the bus.) This shows that she is fighting for what she believes in. By refusing to move, she showed she has the confidence to stand up to something that is wrong in her eyes. She also recalled that her refusal wasn’t because she was too tired to get up; she was just tired of giving in. This showed that she feels this has been an issue for an extensive amount of time and it’s time for things to change.

Rosa Parks faced many struggles through the process but they just made her strive to work harder to fight for what she wanted for herself and society. For example, Rosa was arrested on December 1st, 1955 and charged with violating the Montgomery City Code. In her honor, other members of the African American Community came up with the Montgomery Association which she supported herself. More struggles came her way. Her husband and her both lost their jobs and eventually had to move to Detroit, Michigan to live with family. Rosa’s consequences were harsh but they later resulted in something better and to her benefit as well.

Rosa Parks' encounter was the start of a new beginning. This is true to date because the 382-day Montgomery Bus Boycott became one of the largest and most successful mass movements against racial segregation in history. Thanks to Parks, the laws changed because she not only stood up for herself but others too. She was rewarded for this when she received five major awards in her honor. She was rewarded for her courageous actions that benefited the community as well.

Rosa Parks is a very qualified example of being the change you want to see in the world. Parks was a strong woman; she stood up for what she believed in, stuck with it through hard times and changed the world to make it a more pleasant place for everyone. Rosa Parks is one of the top influential people and is a great example of “being the change.” Her courage and hope put us where we are today.