Rosa Parks

by Maxine from Elgin

The definition of "hero" is "a person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities." This is a very stereo-typical form of a hero. A hero is someone you look up to as a role model who has qualities that you admire. For someone to be a hero, they do not have to slay a dragon or save the word. A hero is someone who makes a change for the better of society. There are many reasons why Rosa Parks is my hero. She was a great example of a brave and courageous woman in history. Rosa Parks was willing to risk being thrown into jail for standing her ground, and not changing her seat on a bus. Rosa Parks made a very significant change in America, and our country may be very different if she was not as courageous as she was that one day on the bus.

Rosa Parks was a 42-year-old African-American seamstress living in Alabama. On December 1, 1955, Rosa Parks got onto a Montgomery City bus and sat down just behind the seats reserved for white people. Soon, the bus got crowded, and she was asked to move to the back of the bus. She quietly stood her ground and refused to move out of seat. She was later arrested for breaking the "Jim Crow Laws" also known as the segregation laws. As a result of the brave action that Rosa Parks did, civil rights activists boycotted the Montgomery City bus system. African-Americans started walking or car-pooling to work and using other means of transportation. Rosa Parks was a great example of how non-violence can be an effective way of solving problems.

Rosa Parks was a very brave woman of her time. She could have easily picked up her things and moved to the back of the bus as she was told, but she was determined to stand her ground. Even when policeman arrested her and forced her off the bus, she remained peaceful and did not get violent. Rosa Parks is a very good example of an effective way of using non-violent protesting. It is an example from history that shows that guns and violence are not always the answer.

Rosa Parks has made a huge impact on the way our country functions. Could you imagine a world were different races were still segregated? I have friends from many various races. I cannot even imagine how different my life would be if they were segregated and treated poorly by society. Yes, there probably would have been a different movement or protest if Rosa Parks hadn't started the Montgomery Bus Boycott, but society could still greatly differ.

Rosa Parks was very heroic because of her courageous actions she took on December 1, 1955. Just imagine how much your life would be different if every person in our country did not have equal rights. Many times when are asked, "Who is your hero?" they will most likely think of a man in history who had a great amount of power and strength. Rosa Parks was the complete opposite. She was a 42-year-old African American woman in the times of the civil rights movement. She had barely any power, but she made a huge impact on American society. These are the many reasons that Rosa Parks is my hero. Sources: http://www.thehenryford.org/exhibits/rosaparks/story.asp