Rosa Parks

by Olivia from Columbus

Rosa Parks
Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks, the famous woman for not giving up her seat to a white person. She created history that many African Americans will never forget. She made segregation totally different after standing up for her rights. Rosa is the reason why segregation will never be the same again. This brings a whole new beginning. This Civil Rights hero has more to come.

Rosa Parks was born on February 4th, 1913 in Tuskegee, Alabama. When Rosa was a child her parents separated, and she moved with her mother to Pine Level in Alabama. Rosa and her family lived with her Grandparents. In 1929 Rosa dropped out of high school when she was in 11th grade to take care of her deathly ill grandmother. Her grandparents were once former slaves. In 1932 she had met Raymond Parks; they ended up getting married that same year. In 1933 Rosa finished high school and got her diploma.

December 1st 1955, Rosa was on her way to work. The bus she was on had a section for white people and African American people. African Americans sat in the back while white people sat in the front. Rosa eventually had to give up her seat to a white person because the white section ran out of room. She refused to move or give up her seat. The bus driver called the police and Rosa was charged with Violation of Chapter 6 section 11. Rosa was taken to jail that night for not giving up her seat.

Rosa had to attend trial for her violation of not giving up her seat to a white person. On December 8th she faced a 30 minute trial, and was found guilty. After the arrest of Rosa Civil rights laws were lifted in 1965, and segregation laws were passed. Rosa's arrest caused African Americans to protest against her arrest. This was a great way to create change in racism and segregation.

Rosa Parks made a huge impact on civil rights laws, and segregation. After she faced trial Rosa received the Martin Luther King Jr. Award in 1980. Also, 1992 she wrote "My story", an autobiography decision not to give up her seat. Rosa moved on with her life, moved to Detroit, and became a secretary In October 24, 2002 Rosa Parks died at the age of 92. Without Rosa our world would not be where it is today; she has made a huge impact on all African Americans.