Rebecca Sugar

by Kayla from New York City

Rebecca Sugar (http://steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Rebecca_Suga ())

Who is your hero? There are many types such as family, animal, or musical heroes. They can be courageous, selfless, and patient in the midst of an ordeal, or mainly inspire you to improve. A hero is, according to Dictionary.com, "a person who, in the opinion of others, has special achievements, abilities, or personal qualities and is regarded as a role model or ideal." My hero is Rebecca Sugar, an artist, songwriter, director, and the creator of the cartoon network show Steven Universe.

Rebecca Sugar was born July 9, 1987, in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She is the first woman to independently create a series for Cartoon Network. Her brother inspired her for the main character of her cartoon "Steven Universe", the first show ever on cartoon network produced by a woman. "My goal with the show was to really tear down and play with the semiotics of gender in cartoons for children." She is bisexual and a huge LGBT+ supporter along with rooting for gender equality. She's written songs and was a storyboard artist for the show "Adventure Time" created by Pendleton Ward. She was good friends with her brother Steven and he had a big impact on her life so her characters are mainly inspired by her brother, other family, and friends.

Sugar explains she really loves to see cartoon characters showing actual feelings. My guess is it teaches kids real feelings and her show Steven Universe is a coming of age story explaining how hard it is to grow up and find yourself as a person. I believe someone who can spread this awareness is worthy of being called my hero. She shows her personality through her work. Rebecca Sugar has really caused me to expand my perspective on gender equality without being so provocative. She explains the show Steven Universe can be just a story about her brother and she says, "If you want to see it is poetry, you can, and if you don't, you can watch a fun cartoon." To add on, she was nominated for primetime Emmy and Annie Awards since 2011, and has been through countless interviews.

I believe Rebecca Sugar is caring. "It's easy to learn from something that you care about," she said. She is also brave because she explains to whomever why LGBT representation Is so important in Steven Universe by showing significant femininity in what seems like a boy's cartoon. She spreads gender equality without caring how people see it. She can be trusting. I believe this because she trusts humanity enough to say that 'all people are deserving of love' and depicting in her story that even the worst can break through.

A hero is someone you can look up to, hope to be or inspires you to do better. Rebecca Sugar, although I don't know her personally, has been a big influence on my life because her art and her stories give many people, including me, entertainment and inspiration for their aspirations.