Robin Williams

by Jessica from San Diego

(http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=robin+willi ())

Robin Williams once said, "You will have bad times, but they will always wake you up to the stuff you weren't paying attention to." (Robin Williams Quotes) Williams spent a lot of time trying to make others happier, even when he was not at his happiest, whether it was because of his humor or because of his uplifting gestures. Dave Itzkoff wrote that Robin Williams was "The privileged son of a Detroit auto executive who grew up chubby and lonesome, playing by himself with 2,000 toy soldiers in an empty room of a suburban mansion, Mr. Williams, as a boy, hardly fit the stereotype of someone who would grow to become a brainy comedian, or a goofy one, but he was both." (Itzkoff) In most peoples' minds, there was no way that the thick, lonely Robin would turn out to be the humerus actor that he became. He spent so much time alone in his house, with hardly any friends, and eventually grew up to become a hit comedian with thousands of fans. "While his career was taking off, Williams faced many personal challenges. He developed a drug and alcohol problem while working on the sitcom Mork and Mindy." (Robin Williams Bio) Robin Williams was so unaccustomed to life in fame, which lead him to a quickly developed a drinking problem.Williams had so little attention when he was younger, that when people finally noticed him, he used his attention for the wrong reasons. As he got older, Robin found his true calling in San Francisco where he was able to be himself without being stopped to take a photograph. "San Francisco. 'It's a combination of the mountains nearby, the ocean--- all that. And the people. It's a very strange and kind of electric place. I don't stand out here--- there's enough strange people.. It's a great city for me to walk around. I can go anywhere." (Marcovitz) Robin had spent so much of his childhood living in San Francisco because of his fathers job, when the opportunity striked again, he took it. He loved the atmosphere and how little he stood out in a crowd of people. A hero must be caring and devoted to what they feel strongly about. Being devoted means that you do not give up on someone or something even when it seems tough to achieve your goal. Robin Williams was motivated to do what he knew was his destiny, make others happy. Williams was caring and selfless because he gave up so much of his earnings to charity and tried his best to interact with children. He possessed great strength and devotion towards his work and helped out those in need. Williams did not have the material as a young boy to become a famous comedic actor, but he was motivated to prove everyone wrong. He spent his life trying to make others laugh and he almost always succeeded. Robin Williams is a hero because of his caring nature and devotion towards his work and friends.

Robin Williams had such a caring soul, he was always looking out for others and donating smiles around the world. Williams spent time and money invested in making sure the less fortunate had equal opportunities. "Williams was active with a number of charities, including Comic Relief and the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation, an organization founded by the late Superman star that is dedicated to curing spinal cord injury. Through his work with the United Service Organizations, Inc. (USO), he was also a frequent performer for American troops stationed abroad." (Robin Williams American) Williams used much of his earnings from his fame to donate to charities and local families in need. Also, he traveled to perform to American troops that were in need of a laugh, which he was always eager to give. Robin Williams was not only generous with his money and the less fortunate, but he was also very good with children, practically being one himself. "She recalls his brilliant comedic mind and his ability to relate to kids without ever being patronizing or condescending." (Grossman) Mara Wilson discusses Williams' personality through his gentle, nurturing ways with children. Additionally, Wilson spoke of his relation to kids and how well he worked with them, mostly because of how childish his whole life had become, as a goofy comedian. Robin Williams is a hero because of his caring nature and love for others, including children and those who were less fortunate.

Robin Williams showed his motivation through his work ethic and college years, which proved his devotion to his acting career. Williams, through his tough upbringing, managed to put so much effort into his career and how others viewed him. "Some people wondered why Robin put up with all the nonsense. After all, by now he was a star and his opinions should have carried some weight. But Robin has never been the aggressive type. Besides, maybe he sensed that the time had come to move on to something new. Robin Williams was ready to focus on a career move to the big screen." (Marcovitz) Williams knew that he had more opportunities waiting for him outside of his current gig, yet he stayed, because of his devotion towards the show. Likewise, he truly believed that the show would rebound, and he could continue playing his role, in which he dedicated so much time to. Robin Williams was not only devoted to his line of work, but was mostly dedicated to making others happy and being there for people who needed a laugh, which he was very good at doing. In the biography about Robin Williams, Hal Marcovitz wrote that, "His friend from Julliard, Christopher Reeve. spent the next five days fading in and out of consciousness. It was Robin. He was at Reeve's bedside. doing improvisational comedy. Robin had flown to Virginia to be with his friend. After all, they had made a pact back in their Julliard days that if either of them were ever in need, the other would come to his aid." (Marcovitz) Williams made a promise to a close friend of his at a young age, and kept that promise when his friend, Christopher Reeve, was in need. Robin was at his side brightening Reeve's day with his humor. Robin Williams showed his devotion through his hope that things would get better, as well as through his well kept relationships with old friends.

Robin Williams is a hero because of his caring nature and devotion towards his work and friends. He worked to make his peers smile, even after the tough childhood he had, barely having the nerve to smile. Lonely and overlooked, Robin Williams wanted to make sure nobody ever felt like he did. He donated loads of money to charity and performed for American Troops. Also, Williams was devoted to his career as a comedian. He spent days and nights on television casts, even when he knew that they were going downhill. He did not give up on anything or anyone, because that was just the man he was, a believer. Robin Williams was an inspirational man because of his need to put a smile on the faces of everyone that he could reach. He never strayed from a joke or a pun that would make another laugh. Towards the end of Robin's life he began to understand how much he impacted the lives of others. Others saw Williams as an inspirational man because of his uplifting personality, "Robin Williams can laugh at anything--- and now his ability to laugh at himself as well indicates the true freedom that he has finally found. He no longer has to desperately prove himself. He knows who he is. he's a little different from anyone else. But that's part of the fun. He likes being that person." (Marcovitz) Clearly, Robin Williams was a hero who demonstrated that there was no reason to change who you are for others when you are happy in your skin. Robin Williams presented himself as a hero when he demonstrated his devotion towards caring and looking out for others and showing them that they did not need to prove themselves to anybody if they knew who they truly were.

Grossman, Samantha. "Mara Wilson Pens a Beautiful Tribute to Her 'Mrs. Doubtftire' Dad Robin Williams." Time. Time, n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2015.

Itzkoff, Dave. "Robin Williams, Oscar-Winning Comedian, Dies at 63." The New York Times. The New York Times, 11 Aug. 2014. Web. 30 Jan. 2015.

Marcovitz, Hal. Robin Williams. Philadelphia: Chelsea House, 2000. Print.

"Robin Williams American Comedian and Actor." Encyclopedia Britannica Online.        Encyclopedia Britannica, n.d. Web. 28 Jan. 2015.

"Robin Williams Biography." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, 2015. Web. 02 Feb. 2015.

"Robin Williams Quotes." GoodReads. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Feb. 2015.