Sally Ride and Marie Curie

by Shelby from Sheridan Tech

Sally Ride was the first American woman to ever go into space. At that time the only women to ever go into space was Valentina Tereshkova in 1963. About 20 years later Sally Ride went into space aboard the Challenger. She was born in California on May 26, 1951 and grew up to go to Stanford University where she majored in two subjects which were physics and English, physics being the subject that paved the way to her career as an astronaut. In 1978 she gained her PhD in psychics and remarkably beat out 1,000 other applicants for a spot in the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's astronaut program. She didn't invent anything, but she did help deploy satellites and helped work on other projects. She didn't participate in any movement and "Biography.com" doesn't mention anything about her thinking differently than others. One thing we can be sure of is her impact on women in the society. She showed that women can do any job a man can do and became an influence on many.

Marie Curie was born on November 1, 1867 in Poland. She was famous for her contributions in the physics and chemistry fields. She work on Radioactivity, which according to "Merriam-Webster dictionary" is "the property possessed by some elements or isotopes of spontaneously emitting energetic particles by the disintegration of their atomic nuclei." Her discoveries helped her win the Nobel Prize not once but twice. This made her not only the first woman to win a Nobel Prize but also the only woman to win the award in two different fields. She proved to be an inspiration for women who may have wanted to pursue science, but didn't because of the view of it being a "Man's" field. She may have not been in any movements but she made contributions in science and proved to be a big inspiration for women.

In conclusion, both of these women proved that women could pursue and succeed in any job that they are determined to do. They weren't in any movements but, they both with what they accomplished left a message. Which is that women can do anything they set their minds to. Despite living in a different society with different morals, people still believe that certain jobs are made for only men to accomplish. I would want to promote the fact that this type of thinking is wrong and needs to be changed. In order to do this I would try and spread the word through events, websites, and forums. Basically any way where people can hear, read, or listen to the message and understand it.