Jack Roosevelt Robinson

by Kyle from Overland Park

Getting into Major League baseball (MLB) is tough, but then again, it’s even more challenging to be the first colored person to do it. Jackie Robinson in 1948 made his MLB debut and shocked the world. How did he do it? Unlike most people who are “heroes”, Jackie worked for many years to deserve that status, not like all of these famous actors and businessmen who inherit millions or just get lucky. That’s why I chose Jackie, and that is why he is “MY HERO”.

Jackie Robinson
Jackie Robinson

Jack Roosevelt Robinson was born in Cairo, Georgia in 1920, and later moved to Pasadena, California where he grew up poor. At an early age he was introduced to baseball while playing with friends in a nearby alley. He continued to play in High School and was a star athlete in baseball, football, track, and basketball. Jackie attended college at UCLA where he played baseball and ran track. Jackie left UCLA without a degree and enlisted in the Army during WWII. After that he played with many Negro American League teams, and was finally drafted by the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Jackie Robinson forever to be remembered (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Jrobinson.jpg)

Being drafted opened the door for other blacks to play in the MLB. Branch Rickey had the honor to be mentioned alongside Jackie’s name, because he was the person who chose Jackie to play. Branch received insults and rejection from other managers who spit at him for drafting a black player; however he was not the only one taking flack for the decision. For many Jackie Robinson was thought to be an insult to the MLB. In fact, some of his teammates would rather not play than to play with Robinson.

Jackie Robinson is very similar to me in his actions. One example is that he was always likely to argue for what he believed in. He fought for black’s rights, while I also support my faith and religion. Secondly, he loved his family, and his mom was very close to him. I am very close with my family too and want to be like him in the way he protected his family. Lastly, Robinson had self-confidence in himself and his actions. This is one quality that can take me far like it did him

So there it is; the story about my hero, Jackie Robinson, how he acted, how he thought and why I chose him. I hope you do not only agree to consider him a hero, but try to act as he did in remembrance of this legendary man.

Getting into the MLB is tough, but then again try to be the first colored person to do it. Jackie Robinson in 1948 made his MLB debut and shocked the world.