Archbishop Oscar Romero

by Meirna from Cedar Grove

Can you imagine how many heroes are in the world? Most heroes are humble, optimistic, and leaders. He or she is an extraordinary person who tries to affect others that they don’t know in a positive way. Many heroes make a difference in the world for all people. Archbishop Oscar Romero from El Salvador is considered a hero for his leadership qualities.

Archbishop Oscar Romero was born in the country El Salvador on August 15, 1917 but unfortunately he died on March 24, 1980. Early in life, Archbishop Oscar Romero was going to be a carpenter, but decided to be a priest. In 1970 he became the Bishop of San Salvador. While in that position, he worked toward helping the poor of San Salvador, wanting justice for all. Oscar Romero faced threats and danger from those who thought differently, but yet he did not care. He just tried to accomplish his goal of getting justice for Christians.

To get justice, Oscar Romero contacted those who threatened him and murdered his friend, Rutilio Grande. Oscar Romero knew he might die telling a reporter, “You can tell the people that if they succeed in killing me, that I forgive and bless those who did it. Hopefully, they will realize they are wasting their time. A bishop will die, but the church of God, which is the people, will never perish.” After Oscar Romero contacted the murderers and was threatened by death he remarked, “I have frequently been threatened with death. I must say that, as a Christian, I do not believe in death but in resurrection. If they kill me, I shall rise again.”

Oscar Romero’s qualities are determined, brave, unselfish, and optimistic. Oscar Romero always was positive, never negative. He always looked at the full side of the cup. He was optimistic. Another quality Oscar Romero showed in his decisions is that he was unselfish. He never wanted anything for himself. He only wanted to help others. Oscar Romero was always determined and brave. When Oscar Romero set his mind on something, he just did it with no fear.

In conclusion, a hero is a person who makes a difference in our world. A hero is a person that cares about others and not just himself. Archbishop Oscar Romero from El Salvador is said to be a hero because of his leadership. Heroes die everyday, but new ones enter the world. We need to remember what they did for us and never forget them.