Anita M. Ruiz

by Amber Ruiz

Sacrifices in life can be the most rewarding things if we challange our abilities.

It was another stormy night in our cramped two-bedroom apartment. I walked to my bedroom, the floorboards beneath me creaking with every step. The wind blew through my cracked window causing my blinds to knock over my lamp. Being frightened, I ran over to pick it up, then bolted back to the living room yanking the blanket over my head and clenched to my stuffed bear. While hiding form the silence I remembered the conversation between my mother and I just a few hours before.

“Okay amie, I have to work another late shift tonight, and grandma has bowling until late, so I need you to be a big girl and stay home alone until either of us returns home.”

“But mom I don’t understand. Why are you always working? I rarely get to see you. I miss you.”

“Honey, we’ve gone over this before. Mommy has to work so much so I can make enough money to help grandma cover the rent. Sweetheart it’s just you, and me we have to pull together to make ends meet. Your dad isn’t here to help us. I know you can do it. It won’t be long. If you need anything you know were the emergency numbers are. I’ll call you when I get to work and, as I am getting ready to leave. Okay?”

“ Okay mom, hey mom thank you, thank you for working so hard for me! I love you; have a good time at work. I’ll see you when you get home. Bye, I love you.”

“ Bye sweetheart.”

Now a bit more comforted, I slowly peal the blanket off my head. As I look around I hear the clock go tick, tick, and tick. Time is creeping by. The silence is killing me. I make a quick grab for the remote and quickly return to my comforting blanket. I turn on the television and jump at the first sound that breaks the long time silence. I sat there rapidly flipping through the channels, trying to find a show to keep my attention. As I find a comforting show, I hear the long awaited click of the latch on the door. At fist I am glued to my seat, scared to see who might be coming through the door. I soon realize it’s my mom.

“Amber I am home.”

I bolt to the door to greet my mom with a death grip hug.

“Amber I have only been gone for about 15 minutes. My boss called me on my way and said to go home and she would cover my shift. She wanted me to be with you. So are you ready? Lets go!”

“Oh thank you, thank you mom! Thanks for everything”

As we left that night, I left with the knowledge that my mom always put me first and would work as many jobs as she needed to support our small yet loving family. And for that I am forever in dept.