SPCA

by Emily from San Diego

The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) is my hero because they work for a good cause - the ensured health and safety towards animals. It might seem like no one would ever want to harm cute little puppies and kitties, but people do harm them and often don't realize that the `small punishment' could scar them for life. The SPCA is made for just this reason, to prepare young animals for what might come in the future. This helps the animals that never got specific attention.

It is hard volunteering for the SPCA, because it is difficult to find out about. I was very fortunate because my mom's friend's friend (or something like that) volunteered there. There are a ton of options for different volunteer projects: cleaning, working at the antique shop, fostering and A.R.R (Animal Rescue Reserve). I personally prefer fostering animals, especially puppies. I found out about these programs in late November, signed up in December, went to the volunteer class in January, attended the puppy foster class in February, and finally was assigned my first group of puppies in May (I get to keep them until June!). The puppies that I am fostering are the most precious little angels: Tigger, Ty, and Addie. These adorable little puppies are pit bull-mastiff mixes. It might take a while to get a puppy, but it is completely worth the wait.

The reason that the SPCA is such a hero to me is because of their Animal Rescue Reserve. The San Diego Humane Society's Animal Rescue Reserve (A.R.R.) is a team of trained volunteers dedicated to assisting people during disasters by safely evacuating horses, livestock and household pets. A.R.R. also works throughout San Diego County to rescue domestic animals or livestock that are trapped and cannot free themselves.

They saved hundreds of horses at the fire near Scripps Ranch. The men and women that dedicate their lives to save others deserve this notation because they do it on their own time as volunteers. It takes a serious dedication to volunteer for something like that. Even though taking care of puppies is difficult, facing wildfires to save an animal you've never met is the real definition of being a hero: bravery, kindness and compassion.