Susan B. Anthony

by Loren

"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." Susan B. Anthony

Susan B. Anthony (destructiod (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=))

The technical meaning of hero is a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities. I do think this is a good definition, but I think a hero is inspiring. I also think you don't have to be brave. A hero does something that amazes you. They make you want to do the same thing one day. I think Susan B. Anthony fits into this description perfectly.

Susan B. Anthony was born in Adams, Massachusetts, on February 15, 1820. She was the child of Daniel and Lucy Anthony. She was the second child out of six. There were four girls and their names were Hannah, Mary, Eliza and Susan. Sadly, Eliza died at age two. Susan also had two brothers and their names were Guelma and Daniel. When Anthony was six, in 1862, she moved with her family a large brick house in Batternville, New York. The house included a schoolroom and a store. Anthony, along with her brothers, sisters, and some neighborhood children, were home schooled. Anthony was taught by her father, but some teachers were women.

Anthony took a stand for women's rights by wearing bloomers. Bloomers were loose-fitting trousers gathered at the ankle and worn underneath a knee-length skirt. She started doing this and encouraged other women to do it to make a point. This did make a small impact. She stopped doing this because of it taking attention away from more important and serious issues.

In 1854, Susan B. Anthony made a petition including that women's suffrage was wrong. She went door to door trying to get people to sign it. Other women did help her do this. Even though she really wanted to continue with this project, she stopped when the Civil War was approaching. Anthony was anti-slavery and wanted to work on the project. She was the principle of the American Anti-Slavery Society, so she really had no choice.

Susan B. Anthony is my hero because she did the unthinkable. She stood up for what she believed in. She didn't let people tell her she couldn't do it. She was inspiring people all over the world to stand up. The next time you believe something is wrong, do something about it! Susan B. Anthony did, and she's a hero.

www.lkwdpl.org - This tells about most of her life and after.
www.historyplace.com - This tells about her house and the sitings of her house.

I'm in 5th grade gifted and love my teacher Mrs. Meyer. I love sports and my gifted class is crazy!