Sarah Arensman

by Tiffany from North Carolina

What makes a hero just that — a hero? At first thought, a person may think a hero is just a person that goes around saving everyone and that has special powers, such as Spiderman, Superman, or just about any other fictional hero. However, upon further examination, a person can find that there is much more to a hero than meets the eye. A hero is a person that someone greatly looks up to that has great traits, has helped him or her during a crisis, or maybe has just had a huge impact on his or her life. The person does not have to be famous, although they very well could be. It could be someone that a person knows personally. All in all, heroes basically need to be someone that the person looks up to and greatly respects. Personally, one of my heroes is my old teacher when I was younger, Mrs. Arensman, because she has many great traits and taught me that school is not just all tedious, useless work.

Firstly, Mrs Arensman, or Mrs. A as we called her, is my hero because she has such amazing traits. For instance, she was always very outgoing and amiable. I find these kinds of teachers to be amazing teachers to work with because they are always so easy to talk to. In addition, Mrs. A was also very systematic yet flexible. Although no student likes to follow a strict schedule for school, there does need to be a structure so the school day will not be a messy day of trying to cram boring information into kid’s brains. This brings me to another point of why Mrs. A is my hero: she made me realize, on a personal level, that school can be fun. She made me realize that if one has a creative teacher, school could actually be pleasurable. She not only played games with us, brought in visual aids to explain things, and related to each of us on a personal level, but she taught us the concepts very effectively. Mrs. A is my hero because she saved me from boredom as well as taught me some great traits that teachers should aspire to have.

In conclusion, I chose Mrs. Arensman as my hero because as I was thinking of what fits my definition of hero, and as I thought of influencing people in my life, I came to the conclusion that she met the match because I looked up to and respected her just as one is to do with a hero. With great skills at working with children and natural abilities to teach, Mrs. A saved me from thinking that school is boring, has amazing character traits, and is a person I highly look up to. Impacted and inspired, I walked away from that class with a new outlook on life. Not only did Mrs. A make learning enjoyable and not only did she have many amazing quality traits that all teachers should have, but she also impacted me for life; I will never forget her.