Sal Celi

by Bianka from Tucson

Mr. Celi
Mr. Celi

Mr. Sal Celi (CH-el-ee) is my hero because he is the greatest teacher (to me.) Everyday Mr. Celi used to teach us something different from life skills to actual science. He thought me so many things in only the first month of school. I think that by now if he was still with us I would know so many things. Everyday he would greet you in the hallway and give you a big smile!

Mr. Celi would stand outside his class room during passing period to make sure to greet you and so you would get to class on time. Every day he would have something in his hand whether it was food, a bug ...or even cow dung! Mr. Celi would always do the most unexpected things ever! He would always be eating during class, apples, watermelon, cantaloupe, a bagel anything that came to his craving. His room was very creative, full of treasures! You know what they say: one man's trash is another man's treasure! It was full of unique things to us. It may have looked messy but to him it couldn’t be any cleaner.

Mr. Celi had a great sense of humor and always kept up with celebrity gossip! He even kept up with kids now a days, how some girls would shave off their eyebrows and go over them with sharpies! He used to make us laugh with his humor! He also taught us a very valuable lesson, a very famous quote from Mr.Celi..."LIFE IS NOT FAIR!"

One Friday night August 28, 2008 suffered from a horrible car accident and passed away. The first few days I kept getting text messages that he died. I didn’t want to believe it but it was true! I did the trash assignment that was due on the following Monday but it was no use. The first week of his death it was impossible to do anything. I did all my science articles because I thought he would come back, but he didn’t. But now he is in a better place.

Mr. Sal Celi, a great teacher with a great heart is still in ours and some of us consider him as our HERO! He taught us great lessons that life is not fair and it sure is not. He was very creative and very caring for all of us! He taught for the love of teaching because he loved teaching and I think that makes him a hero!