Suzanne Collins

by Avery from Eden Prairie

Suzanne Collins
Suzanne Collins

My hero is Suzanne Collins. She is my hero because she wrote my favorite books, The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mocking Jay. She also rescued two wild kittens from her backyard. Suzanne has a husband named Cap, and two kids. As a child, her father was part of the Air Force, so they moved around a lot. She had two sisters and one brother. Suzanne was the youngest child. She did gymnastics, and enjoyed reading.

Suzanne Collins has accomplished and is known for many things. She has written many books, and since 1991, she has been writing stories for children’s television. She wrote many stories for the Emmy-nominated Little Bear, and Oswald. Also, she co-wrote the Christmas special, Santa, Baby! More recently, she was the Head Writer for Scholastic Entertainment’s Clifford’s Puppy Days. She has written sixteen books in total, and all of which look really good. Suzanne was named one of the most influential people of 2010. Those are just some of the things my hero has done.

Katniss Everdeen
Katniss Everdeen

Suzanne Collins has been many places, and that helps her find creative settings for her stories. Currently, Suzanne, Cap, and her two kids live in Sandy Hook, Connecticut. She used to live in New York for 16 years, (1987-2003) but with her kids they were bursting out of their apartment. Suzanne is, surprisingly, 48 years old. She was born in 1962. Her kids are both in their teen years.

Suzanne Collins is important to me because she wrote The Hunger Games. She made an unwritten statement - it doesn’t matter who you are, what you look like, how much fortune you have, because imagination is free. Her books are amazing, and life-changing. The creativity she uses in her writing made me appreciate the life I live now. Her books inspire me to think outside the box, just like Suzanne did.