Silvia Suyapa Escobar

by Christian from Hawthorne

My mother, her name is Silvia Suyapa Escobar but her maiden last name is Callejas. She was born in the city of San Pedro Sula in Honduras. All her adolescence she was struggling economic wise and family wise. She had it very tough throughout that period in her life but those reasons did not stop her in accomplishing her goal. She wanted to stay in school and work so that she could supply herself and her family. Since she was a baby, her mother was a mom and dad for her and her siblings. She raised six children by herself without the help of anyone. My mother did not grow up with a father, who would look out for them or be there when her and her siblings was in need of a father.

During this time, my mother knew what she wanted to be therefore she set her goal into becoming what she wanted to be in life. Her goal was not to be; a dentist, doctor, lawyer or judge, she just wanted to work in a bank. In the bank, she wanted to work in making calculations of having the money getting put in and taken out. She first started off cleaning a bank, being the one who is always with a mop in her hand cleaning every single dirty and dusty spot. She would also walk around with cleaning products and towels to clean the big tall windows of the bank. When a customer or employee of the bank would drop something on the floor they would just leave it there and wouldn't even bother looking at what they did, they would just leave it to my mother to clean up after everyone's mess in the bank. The worst part was that she wouldn't get paid the right amount of money for the type of job she is killing herself for. She never complained to her boss about the small amount of money she would receive in her hand because she had the fear of losing it. Her boss would get mad if an employee who just cleaned around would ask for a raise so when they did he would fire them without even thinking twice about it. She believed that the little amount of money is better than receiving nothing at all.

Another thing she had in her mind was that she needed to help her family in something so she could not afford in losing the job. My mother always tells me how she would sometimes cry seeing that the other people who worked in the bank would just sit in a nice desk with nice clothes on their backs just filling out paper work for a while then leave. When she was the one breaking her back all day working and still getting paid less than them. My mother set a goal in one day being that person sitting in a desk with nice clothes on and just fill out papers but she knew in order to become someone like that she had to succeed in school and major in accounting. Her mother did not want her to go to a regular school, she wanted her to sew as a living so she put her in a sewing school but my mom eventually dropped out because that was something she didn't want to do. Her mother was not happy with that idea but since that was something my mother was passionate about so she let her do what she wanted to do. Therefore, my mother ended up majoring in accounting while still working at the bank cleaning. Once she seemed like she was capable in handling what she prepared herself for she talked to her boss about ranking her up and letting her be the one sitting down in the desk instead of cleaning. Her boss agreed, sooner or later my mother was the one on the desk filling out paper work instead of cleaning. After all, she accomplished her goal and did not stop believing in what she wanted to be. My mother ended up accomplishing her goal and never stopped believing in herself, which is my I see my mother as my hero.